16 May 2020

I WANT TO MOVE

I am feeling as if I would live on another planet. These three month of lockdown have certainly had an impact on me. I always wanted to discover something to go out to have company and now that the end is near (not my end, but the lockdown end) although the near can be far away too.

We were very lucky, just before the lockdown started, our Estate agent found a buyer for our house because since at least two years I always thought "I want to go out of here".

Mr. G had broken his hip last year and although he recovered very well, the lockdown didn't suit him at all, because he didn't move, or yes he moved from computer to TV back and forth and is now bored ! It became worse and worse and when I see him walking I think of a Geisha ! Of course he doesn't want to go to a physiotherapist ! To walk up and down the steps to the basement seems as if he has to climb on the mount Everest.

As a creative person and to make him walk, I send him to do the shopping and always find something that he has to go to the basement to do some exercise on the steps. It is very tiring because he complains loud and angry that he has to walk too much and that I also could go to the basement. Yes that's the joy of 50 years of marriage.

Therefore during the lockdown I went apartment hunting instead of shopping, but always had a shopping bag with me in case the police would asked me where I am going. I drove along the streets where I wanted to live, in the city center which is very cute and green. Waterloo had been a village since two years ago and is no proudly a town ! Not so much for us inhabitants but for the mayor who gets more money for a town then for a city.


Waterloo city

It didn't last long and I found the apartment of my dreams. Of course I only could see it from outside but the location had all what I wanted !  It was in the city I could go to the movie, theatre, boutiques, banks, shops etc in walking distance and Mr. G. had his Whist Club at 500 m away. Ideal for a vintage couple. The apartment was on the fourth floor.

Lookdown or not, I jumped on the occasion, and per telephone and email we arranged a meeting with the owner, the estate agent was not allowed to come of course. It had to look private. With mask and gloves, a bag with cookies and books, I met the owner in the apartment and immediately fell in love with it.



The building

We came to an agreement but had to wait for the signatures until the Estate agents were allowed to work again, which was yesterday. It was the first time in 40 years that we rented, because we thought we are too old now to bother with buying all the paperwork which is involved (at least here) while renting is easy, you pay your rent and the owner has the troubles !

What I want now, is close my eyes, and wake up in the new apartment with all our belongings in place !!


Linking to Linda G. Hills SOCS - Want

11 comments:

  1. Moving is not easy but you will just have to go through the process. Get people in to pack your things and move them and damn the cost. Tell Mr G to start packing and hiring movers and then offer a solution to what he will find so difficult.

    I only know the joy of a forty year relationship and a COVID lockdown stress related murder may happen here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad for you that you're so pleased with the appartment you're going to move to.
    Wishing you a smooth moving process and a happy beginning at the new residence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see if I can find a magic wand lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you can move very soon. It sounds as if your new apartment is in a lovely location.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found really great apartment! It’s conveniently located and rooms are spacious with beautiful garden outside the building. I hope moving will go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be wonderful if we could say Poof and all the moving chaos was taken care of magically. It’s difficult, indeed, in real life, especially after so many years but once you settle in it will be fantastical because you will love your new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew is right. Call the movers and have them do the packing! Then in the blink of an eye, it will be done!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will love apartment living and no longer have the worry of house maintenance. It will be good to be able to walk to so many places and not be so car dependent. You will soon forget the chaos of moving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on you for finding a place you love. I wish I were so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thrilled for you. Hope you move soon and get settled very quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !