1. This time for our scrabble we met at Myriam's for once she was free, her boyfriend had other things to do and so he wasn't in our feet. Of course I lost, but I had so much to tell about my stay in Amsterdam and my admiration for the different types of bicycles
Imagination and creativity have no limits !! We all found that the Netherlands compared to other countries are very special. Don't make a car insurance for your partner for a million $ but rather a bike insurance there is more chance that you get the money.
2. My neighbor since 1975 had cancer was healed and now it came back and with force, there is nothing to do anymore than to let her go in peace. Now she is home and I visited her. She is 78 and the kind of girl who even in these circumstances prefers laughter to pity. I didn't have to do an effort, I entered the room and immediately stumbled over a few tubes which are connected to her. She laughed and I ranted that she is not wireless, and old fashioned. She invited me to sit down. I choose the next chair close to her bed. No, not this one she laughed ! Of course I had choose the commode ! I sprang up and let me fall into a chair ! This had been my entrance ! Behind my cheerful face I felt completely different. She had become so skinny, like an anorexic girl. But for chatting she still has forces. She gets very strong painkillers so that she doesn't suffer. She can't eat anymore and gets the food through a tube day and night. She is the one I always drove to the hospital to get the shot in her eye. And that too is awful she can hardly watch TV and not reading at all. We all wish so much that it will not last too long until she will pass away.
4. Last year I had completely forgotten about Halloween, it is not very much celebrated here.
But this year I put a skeleton out and a pumpkin and a few children rang at the door.
I loved the wolf very much !
5. Since weeks I was looking for a parka and of course when you have something in your mind you won't find anything. Nicole needed a pullover. It was cool and humid and we decided to go in the nearby shopping mall in Nivelles. That was a very good idea, because not only we had a wonderful lunch, but I also found my parka and she her pullover.
After a nice coffee we returned home the day was nearly over. Mr. G. approved my new purchase and liked it very much.
more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
1. What does/did Halloween look like at your house this year? Did you decorate? Pick pumpkins? Carve pumpkins? Expect trick or treaters? Wear a costume to a party or event? Make a costume? Feel glad you didn't have to come up with a costume? Cook a Halloween themed treat? Eat all the leftover candy?
Halloween is not very much celebrated here, it's more locally. I just put a witch at the entrance, a skeleton at the bell,and bought a few sweets, so that the few children who may come know that here Haloween is celebrated.
2. What are you waiting for? Elaborate
There is nothing much to elaborate, I wait for spring, flowers, blooming trees, warm weather and sunshine.
3. Do you wish you were friendlier, braver, more creative, more athletic, or something else? Explain.
I don't know if I am friendly, or brave I can't tell that about myself,but I am certainly creative, athletic as snail, and I don't want something else or at least for the moment I have no idea !
4. When it comes time to paint are you a do-it-yourselfer or do you hire someone? What was the last paint job completed at your house? What room most needs painting now? How do you feel about wallpaper?
To be honest I prefer to paint pictures and not walls, and I don't think that I am very good in that, so I preferred to hire Mr. G. in the beginning, but now we don't do anything ourselves anymore. I don't like wallpaper I prefer to have the walls painted, nothing needs to be painted for the moment we did it 3 years ago.
5. What is one specific thing you felt gratitude for in the month of October? Nothing
6. Insert your own random thought here. I wonder if some kids will come and ring at the door, last year I had forgotten to buy sweets for Halloween and there were a few, this year I bought sweets and I let you know if somebody comes, otherwise we have to eat them ourselves or give them away !
I spent a few days with my son's family in Amsterdam /Ijburg. Ijburg belongs to Amsterdam but is so different from the city as an apple and an egg. While Amsterdam is full of history and old houses and nice shops, Ijburg is young, very young, nearly a baby. The first residents moved into their houses in November 2002 !
If I could fly, from above it would look like that
When I arrive at the bridge I know that I am almost there
The first thing you have to pay attention when you enter Ijburg are the bicycles. There so many and most of them I had never seen in my life. To carry around 3 to 5 children you don't use a car but a bike. Cars are banned in Amsterdam. Bikes are the kings ! The parking spaces even in front of your own house are so expensive that visitors have to leave their cars outside Amsterdam and take a taxi or a tram to go to their family or friends. 2.50 € per hour is normal it can go up of course in some areas you pay until 5 € per hour. Now all this is very nice for the environment, but not for a poor vintage lady like me who sat on a bike at least 30 years ago and is used to drive everywhere by car. There are good transport links to Ijburg but if you don't have a weekly ticket or something one ride is also very expensive.
For bikes there is no parking fee, so all along the street you see bikes and bikes. Some families own up to 5 bikes.
Definitively this area is not for elderly people to live.
It is really only suitable for young couples with or without children. Above 50 or 60 it becomes difficult to live there, if you are in a good shape and you can still climb 3 to 4 floors up to the bed or bathroom, then it's OK. You can't be too big either because the stair cases are rather narrow too. The houses are all narrow and high, due to the fact that there is not very much space.
There are many bridges
and the houses look almost all the same
square like boxes and flat roofs
Some people had planted flowers in front of their entrance which gave this kind of ghetto a cheerful touch.
To me it looks like a town of the future, definitively ultra modern. There are lots of sport fields and Fitness clubs, you find from Yoga to football everything, but .... no shop ! Nothing, but a beautiful beach ! Since a few month one bakery has opened near my son's house where I could walk, otherwise there is no shop at all, you would starve if you can't ride a bike or take a tram ! But fortunately there are ... lots of restaurants !
Toby and I had lunch here at the beautiful habour, which of course in summertime is very crowded.
After the few days spent with Toby, I left a day earlier, because it was decided that he wanted to play with his friends at the day care in the morning. I was less convinced when I saw his face, but I thought it's better to leave in this case. Instead of Saturday morning I left Friday. My way home was smooth and without any problem. But as soon as I arrived in the main street of Waterloo, the whole city center was barricaded and police and special units armed til the end of their hairs waved the cars into other directions.
I immediately thought that their was an attack, and as I am curious I tried to get nearer to see a bit more but unfortunately it was impossible. I looked on my smartphone and read that a suspicious suitcase had been found between the school and the church and that's why the whole center was barricaded. The church was empty anyway and the school too as the students had a day off, while the teachers were in a pedagogic meeting in a restaurant as it was lunch time.
Slowly we are coming to a point that only a few panic, the others went in the next café had a beer discussed attacks and waited until the street was free. Better so. I arrived home and found my little cats almost where I had left them !
Nothing special had happened in the meantime.
A friend had given me 6 eggs, from her chickens, they were special, they were blue green ! Funny to see, time saving for Easter
In our garden the mushrooms continue to invade, they are so disgusting and grow so quickly. Nearly each day Mr. G. has to pick them up. Apparently we are not the only one, my neighbors and others also complain about this mushroom invasion !
Besides in the shops there is very little decoration at the houses or in the gardens.
As last year I hadn't done anything this year I decorated a bit the entrance and bought sweets because last year when I thought nobody would ring at the door there were several children. Therefore Mr. G. bought sweets, at least we are equipped, otherwise we have to eat them ourselves !
I even found my witch from at least 6 years ago
and then when everything was finished, we closed the garden too !