6 Jul 2019

MY VERY FIRST CHEWING GUM

When I was 6 years old my parents took me from my Grand parents who lived on the countryside back to where my father's mother lived. It was a small town near Frankfurt where my Grandpa had worked. My Grandma had taken all her 3 children with husband wives and children into her big house as my parent's apartment and his sister's didn't exist anymore it was all completely destroyed during the bombing.



Frankfurt

In this little town were many American soldiers, because we lived under American occupation. For me these men in uniform were nothing special, they were very friendly to us kids and from one I got my first chewing gum and sweets. I had never seen a chewing gum before and didn't know what to do with this flat long thing. He showed me how to put it in the mouth and chew on it and spoke in a language that I couldn't understand. He mimicked that I don't have to swallow it but keep it in my mouth, which I bravely did. It tasted mint and I didn't like it. He saw my face and laughed ! As soon as he turned around and went away with his friends I spit it out ! My friends, however, liked the chewing gum very much.




This was a common picture to me, kids running behind the soldiers in the trucks asking for chocolate, sweets and chewing gum.


Me later. I always had the nicest dresses, because my mother's sister had married an American and always sent me clothes.


Linking to SOCS - Chew

10 comments:

  1. nice remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like chewing gum either and I could never blow bubbles with bubble gum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. I cannot imagine what those early days were like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo of you in the dress. Such a pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen the point to chewing gum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful memory....

    The soldiers weren't anything much to you, but were adults happy, when they were liberated?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't even recall my first time I had chewing gum
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fond memories. I am not a fan of chewing gum either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to chew gum but gave it up after so much dental work.
    A lovely picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love chewing gum and would eat tons of eat at work, especially if I had a late shift: it would keep me awake!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !