25 Mar 2011

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE


more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.


1. Our acqua gym teacher was on holidays so we had another girl. I think she must have been a sergeant because she counted all the time "One, two, one two, two three seven ..." in a loud military voice. When I said I feel like being in military exercise instead of an old lady friendly acqua gym, she at least didn't shout the numbers anymore, nobody amongst us was deaf. We all prefered our good Michele !

2. I went with a friend to our favourite asiatic restaurant, it's nice there, because they also have a takeaway so I always order one plate more to take home for Mr. G. Which means another cooking free evening.

3. The weather was wonderful this week, sunshine all the time, the only thing which bothered me was that in the morning you thought being at the Northpole and the afternoon in Africa. Such a big temperature difference ! you had to dress up like an onion and peel layer by layer off with the raising temperature !

4. I cleaned the gravel in front of our house from the first outcoming weeds before it started to get worse and then spread simple kitchen salt all over the gravel. That's a very efficient (and cheap) mean to keep weeds away. It's also ecofriendly and not dangerous for animals.

5.



As the weather was still nice and warm, we cleaned the patio and the garden furniture with a Kärcher water pressure washer, and removed the plastic we had on the furniture to protect them during the winter. It was quiet some work but we did it and now it looks nice and clean all the moss is gone and we can now sit outside. Hopefully we don't get any frost anymore. As the flowers are not growing yet I put some fake once in the pots, at least it looks a little colorful.

17 comments:

  1. I loved the two, three, seven! We are off to an Asian restaurant in Nairobi while there this weekend. I love their food, lots of vegetarian options. Good cleaning of your patio. Yes. salt works for the weeds. We also have Karcher pressure washer at home. The men use it to clean car engines and wash the mud off under the vehicles. Have a great weekend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of salt for weeds but will try it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip and it will be safe for cats too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is spring somewhere in the world! I cannot believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE those 'no cooking' days myself!!

    And it sounds like you're getting some Spring weather. Nice, isn't it? Around here it's been in the 80s and 90s already. To you...summer temps, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Madam Chat Spring has sprung huh? I've never heard of using salt for that. It's a clever idea. Gonna have to try that. :) Glad you are having good weather. Have a wonderful Friday and great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not so sure about the snails being happy with that salt, but if it works, I might have to give it a go. I did about 1 square meter of weeding today before I got fed up and had an ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! We had a woman like that in our water aerobics class a couple of years ago. She was morbidly obese, and instead of getting in the pool with us, she stood along side, making us do some pretty stupid things. I got fed up and said, "Why don't you get in here and do these silly things with us?" Everyone in the class applauded!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a good girl Mrs G.
    Nothing like doping things quickly and putting it behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the "dressing like an onion" comment!!

    Hope you get colour in your garden soon. Spring is on the way :) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't thought of spreading salt on the gravel to keep the weejs at bay. What a good tip! I'll try that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooops... That should have been 'Weeds'!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spring is a wonderful time! I love the warmer weather! A night off cooking is always welcome at my house too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you're ready for spring! I've never heard of using salt, but it sounds like a great idea.

    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful for you having nice weather in the spring! Sounds like you got some outdoor spring cleaning done and now you are ready for the nice weather!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those kind of temperature difference is the kind of thing we get in spring and fall around here. We learn to layered dress.

    I can hardly wait for the weather to be nice enough overnight to turn the outside water on so that I can powerwash the deck and deck furniture. The salt for weeds is a great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spring cleaning!!!You did a great job with Mr Gattino! I saw on tv that you have a nice weather!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES! This is a sure fire way to get rid of winter's blahs! I even see GREEN in your yard! We are starting to green up too!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !