5 Jun 2020

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

Our moving date comes closer and closer and I spend my days between paper work, blogging, and to relax visit a friend.

Now that we are more free and the lockdown rules have changed a bit, we started Scrabbeling again ! What a pleasure. Only one was missing she was not feeling well.

A miracle happened I was second ! And I had never played since March 13 when the lockdown started ! 

Poor Mr. G is a nervous wreck and no help at all, on the contrary. He doesn't like when his routine is disturbed like a lot of seniors (to be polite)

Before we get the keys to the apartment, an inventory is made to see that nothing is broken. For this I needed household insurance and a special account with the amount of two months' rent as a guarantee for any damage that we could cause !

In normal times that wouldn't be a problem, but in lockdown times everything becomes a problem.

No way to see people in person everything has to be done by phone and confirmed by email. Each time you call a number in my case it was our bank,  you get a robot on the phone who asks you to push button nr 1 for French, n°2 for Flemish, n°3  investments etc etc bla bla. After having listened to the whole menu, what I was asking for wasn't mentioned. I called our agency and asked for an appointment. Without appointment they just do nothing. Now the problem was that I should do it per phone. I told the lady that I had done that already and what I needed was not listed.


Everywhere you go you have to wash your hands !! Even at the bank !

As I had to pick up a new bank card, I thought I will ask her in person. She was very reluctant, because the appointment was only for the bank card,  so I changed my tactics and said that I didn't understand anything, that I was 77 and didn't hear well and had no idea about computers. Suddenly everything was possible ! (Seniors are supposed to have a lot of money to invest in the bank in Belgium) she did what I asked for in no time and of course proposed me if ever I had money to invest, that they were there !!

My cleaning lady is incredible ! I had asked her to empty the furniture of an entire room, wardrobe, shelf, desk and a dresser and put the content in suitcases. One hour later she called me to have a look and to my surprise it was all done ! Wonderful, at this speed it will be quickly done.

To downwind a bit we had our lockdown meeting at Nicole's and for once it was raining since a long time. We spent a nice afternoon.




Phase 3


more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

12 comments:

  1. Will you be allowed to put pictures on the wall in your new apartment? I'm not supposed to but of course I have but first matched the paint for repairs. Sometimes I have to pull the old lady act and say I am ** years old and don't understand and I am a bit deaf and then people become more helpful. Always lots of paperwork involved in a move but at least you have your cleaning lady to help with packing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I am just an old woman who doesn't even know how to turn a computer on.

    Your cleaning lady is doing your packing for you at her normal wage! It would cost a lot of money here for anyone to pack for you and a cleaning person would not do it without being paid a lot extra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with your move!!

    as a special education pre K teacher we wash our hands even with NO pandemic. Most people do don't they????? hhahaha...it's called good hygiene. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny about the bank person's change of tone after your change of tactics! And it's great that your cleaning lady will help pack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving is not an easy process at any time. Kudos to you for going on this adventure. Wishing you the very Best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like calling banks because the robot tells me to push buttons for everything (date of birth, card number, etc) then, when I am finally connected to a person, I have to give the same information all over again. Glad your change of tactics worked so nicely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be difficult getting all this done when things are still far from normal. I'm hoping for some news tomorrow as to what it happening with our sale - I missed a call from the agent yesterday and he doesn't work on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I read your 'change of tactics', I laughed and then I had to read it to my husband! Oh that was a great way to handle everything. I'll have to remember that!
    Hurray for Scrabble time!
    Can I borrow your cleaning lady? What a great worker!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lot on your plate at the moment. I liked your tactics at the bank to get service. And so you should. Poor Mr G. I hope he comes good when you move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure can relate to being frustrated with those voice mails. I had to deal over the phone for my mom's car accident and insurance and it took forever because they kept requiring me to push yet another number. I miss the days of talking to a real person on the phone. What a blessing your cleaning lady is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bank story made both of us laugh (I read that paragraph to Bill)....because “been there, done that” .... sometimes you’ve just got to pull out the “age card” to get what you want.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !