18 Feb 2020

PETRA - JORDAN

In 2006 I visited Petra. It has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1985. UNESCO has described Petra as "one of the most precious cultural properties of man's cultural heritage". In 2007, Al-Khazneh was voted one of the New7Wonders of the World

Therefore when I was there it wasn't yet a tourist spot. Local people offered stones and coins to the tourist against a pencil or a little money. I "bought" a  piece of a vase for three ballpens ! You could go everywhere even on the sites were the archologists still worked.

Today it's completely different of course, as I have been told it became a real tourist place. I am happy that I had the opportunity to see it when it was not yet spoiled by too many tourists.

I don't explain the pictures as I did it already in my COUNTRIES & CITIES Blog. Unfortunately Photobucket masked the photos !

But here are a the most important which gives you an idea about the place !



A long way to walk on cobble stones











until we finally saw this temple



just amazing











more participants here

8 comments:

  1. While Petra is very different to Vietnam, I am so glad we visited Vietnam when it was still a bit raw and in its infancy with catering for western tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! It looks like such an amazing place. You are so lucky to get to visit there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took us on an amazing tour so nice to see it all through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so beautiful I wold love to go but, as you said, it is now overrun with people and I am sure it takes away a little bit of the magic. It's the same everywhere unless you visit off-season. We had visited Normany at the end of winter and enjoyed it so much because the place was deserted. The famous D-day beaches were empty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks a fascinating place. You were fortunate to visit before it became a popular tourist destination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see Petra someday. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an amazing place. One more site I'd love to visit. Maybe someday....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great images! That's one place I would love to see for myself. I am enjoying your photos along the way.


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !