23 Mar 2018

SKYWATCH FRIDAY - FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE - FIVE ON FRIDAY





Grey and rainy skies between Belgium and France



More participants here at



*********



No sign of spring whatsoever we started the week with our scrabble, at least we had some fun. There was a newcomer a red haired full of temperament lady which made us laugh all the time. She won, and Nicole for once lost. I was in the middle !

The sun came out and I thought hurrah, now I can go out to do some photohunting, but when I put my nose outside, there was such a wind that I almost blew away.





Even cat Arthur hurried back in the house when I had opened the window door. We had been full of hope ... both. When I think that last year at that time we complained about a heat wave !!

At least we are a group of friends and can visit each other. This time I went to Cecile whom I know since 1961. She had recently moved near Waterloo so now we can see each other more often. We digged out old stories from when we were young and went out dancing. It was a nice afternoon, for both of us.

The week ended with a trip organized for the seniors by the city. This time we went just across the Belgian border into the region of Avesnois in France where we stopped after 2 h drive for a café and croissant,



As you can see from the picture it wasn't very warm and we felt all better after a hot cup of coffee and the croissant.

After that we visited a Museum of textile, with very old machines and it was really very interesting, but made us hungry too.

We stopped in a restaurant called "La Forge" (the forger) and had a delicious meal :



Apperitif, seefood as starter, veal with different things, and a "Dame Blanche" (a white lady ?)

The next stop was a glass blower factory where we could see how little figurines, bowls or vases were made. There were also very machinery but less of interest to me and Nicole. 



Unfortunately it was very cold in this factory which was a pity because as we were all freezing we wanted to return to the bus.

It had been a very interesting day and I will report in more details in a separate post.

At 7 pm I was home again and we all had spent a very nice day.







more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.







19 comments:

  1. Too bad the weather was not nicer, but it looks like you had a good time anyway. I like finding new places to eat - it has become a favorite activity.
    And if you have any quick and easy recipes that are for only 2 or 3 people, I would like to have them. It seems all the cookbooks I look at the recipes feed 6 or 8 people. Just too much for the two of us.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting day out but a pity it was so cold. That dessert looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The glass blowing items really caught my eye. My mother had a few items like that at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad it was so cold but sounds like it was a nice trip!
    The glass items are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand the time you're having with the weather. We are all tired of the cold, rainy weather in the US, too! I have been to a glass blowing factory, too! The Fenton glass factory is only about 20 miles from my home! And it's fun to take the tour and get to watch them actually making things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry the weather wasn't good for you but you still describe your outing with great aplomb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love watching glass blowers work, such a magical skill

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a very big day out. I notice even when you were having lunch, everyone was still heavily dressed. I guess like here, the temperature inside does not suit everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, historic old buildings!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice trip in France ! I see you become all scrabble expert !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad it was cold, but it sounds like you had a fun time anyway. The food looked delicious and the glass items are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely stone building.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so active, Gattina, you put me to shame. If I get out of the house once a week, it's a miracle. Living in a small town is like that, I guess, and since I've given up driving it is worse. Speaking of driving, though, I still remember you driving us around Brussels. What a fun day that was, but so long ago now.
    I'm glad to see Arthur is still around. I love white cats.
    So...hugs from here, my friend. (And I am not a robot!)
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope some warmer weather finds you soon. Sounds like a fun trip despite the chill. That food looks good. I am always amazed at the glass blowing and how they make the those things. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not been very springy here, either - hopefully it will be soon. It's nice you have so many friends to do things with. The Museum of Textiles and glass factory sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a fun bus trip! Except for freezing! Hope it warms up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your trip to the textile museum and glass blowing factory would have been a favorite with me, too! It sounds like a great trip.
    I hope you are getting better weather now with some sun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's always nice to see new things, but I hate being cold! I can't function well and I certainly can't sleep if I'm cold, so I can relate.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !