16 Feb 2024

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

The week started with warmer weather but still raining. As usual I started with my Blog and phone calls and then came the cleaning woman and we chatted again about her MIL, and the two houses she and her husband should inherit. And finally the cleaning went very quick but I had done my job as advisor.

Meanwhile I had become counselor, comforter, confessor, and storyteller from my youth, etc. I have to pay attention that my room is still cleaned even when we are speaking. Apparently it has made the rounds that people could talk to me and especially laugh. But actually I only laugh on the outside, inside I don't feel like laughing at all, and I'm often  depressed, especially in the mornings. But laughing feels good, despite everything.

We had a nice activity program starting with pre-printed drawings for Valentine's Day of course. I really didn't feel like doing that, I hated it aleady at school, and the pens were half dry. So I made a few strokes and then I told Amandine that I would rather look at what the others are doing. She knew some of my paintings and had to laugh. The others more or less filled in the drawings and I started to calm down my Italian friend, who when she is tired claims her mother. I told her that her mum is traveling and she will get a postcard soon  etc etc. It worked and she continued.

I try to help Amandine more and more, I like it, and we are starting to make a program for Saturdays or Sundays, because there is no activity during the weekend. I don't mind to play games with them, because I never was for playing cards or Monopoli or other things ! Now at 80 I'm making up for it ! But it's also funny because most people have all the marbles in their heads and make the others laugh. One played piano like a professional, and it turned out that she had been a teacher ! When she played a song of Edith Piaf we sang all together and it was not bad at all.

That's how it is, even if the hands of the 100 year old Jeannie are shaking, she still sings very well !

 filling in the drawings

Jeannie and her son preparing a photo with a frame !
 
And so it goes on and on every day at 3 pm after the afternoon nap.  

For the first time I could walk without difficulties, a bit slow but I am not 20 anymore and said hello to
Jesus, who holds his hands over us and besides is the little house in which the "homeless" cats live

Besides the castle was a convent, with nuns, but had been converted to a retirement home. It has partly been renovated, and there are heavy cases of Alzheimer or other brain damaged residents living here. It is now attached to our 200 years old castle !

This cute little house contains garden tools and ..... 6 "homeless " cats


On the door is written : Attention, cats are living here !


There are 6 in total, all fat and not shy at all. They get food every day, have a lot of baskets and blankets and a vet checks them from time to time.

When I had made my little walk I was really happy ! That was the first time after 4 years that I had walked on grass and climbed a little hill. With boots (!). And I was not even breathless only a little bit. 

The week ended with a meeting with the manager and his team and us. We were all sitting together and were asked if we had something to complain, but nobody had. 

We thanked him for creating such a warm and welcoming atmosphere, for helping everywhere and asking for ideas to make us feel even more comfortable. There was a lot of laughter, drinking coffee and eating waffles and then I went to my room. I was a bit tired because I had previously been to a pulmonologist for a check up and he had told me that my health has improved a lot, of course I was happy. Maybe my new life is really starting now.
 
Meeting with manager, personal, and residents. He and his assistant are quite young and have very good ideas !
 




more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that you can walk outside again and that your health report from the Dr was good. And it's fun to see the pictures of your new neighbors/friends. I've read before that kind of forcing yourself to laugh is good when you're blue, almost as good as the real (spontaneous) thing. Sure sounds like it was worth trying for you; I will try to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that your health has improved! And how lovely that you got outside for a walk. Sweet that those kitties have a "home" and that they are fed and looked after.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !