2 Sept 2023

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

I can't remember that we ever had such a rainy "summer". I gave up to separate winter and summer clothes, only thick winter coats and jackets. And probably I will give them away because it's never really cold. If it is the average of - 5°C then I stay inside. 

I have started after over a year to finally look into the two last bags from Rick. Fortunately there was nothing special in it, a broken frame a broken lamp and two boxes of computer stuff which I don't know what it is. 

I also found 3 wigs, never used still wrapped, which I had ordered for Nicole when she had her brain surgery, and they had delivered them twice. But Nicole has such beautiful and thick hair, that she only had a little hairless spot and didn't need the wig. So I decided to call the Cancer center and asked if they would take wigs, the lady on the phone was so happy, she said there are so many women who can't afford a wig. They will send somebody to pick them up.

Each day I try to do a little bit for my move, it's not so easy to find experts for valuable things who don't want to cheat you. I want at least have an idea how much the things are worth.

L has finally come back from France, where she had stayed in their holiday home for 2 months, just after the death of her husband with whom I had worked for nearly 10 years. Now we are sitting in the same boat, two widows, only she is now like I was last year, still full of energy, while this year I have the impression that my whole grief comes out and I am just like a cleaning rag hanging around and do nothing or I play around with my photos.

 It's too early to prepare the things for the move, part goes to my "Castle" and the rest goes to someone who needs everything and will pick it  up. It's called "empty everything". 

L. is in the middle of the papers and although she has a notary, she has to find the papers ! Apparently her husband was even worse than mine and it took quite some time until we both found everything.
We spent a nice afternoon.

On Saturday the weather was even worse ! In August I had to wear socks !! But I refused to switch on the central heating in August ! Until the climate change settles down and we will have temperatures at Christmas like in Australia, I wait until October. I bed then we will have 30°C.

As usual on Fridays I visit Nicole, because there is mass and she doesn't like religion. First we were two sitting in the sunshine which had suddenly appeared, then we were joined by a couple, he was with Rick in the same home and had changed because for his wife this one is nearer. He used to be a Mr. Wikipedia and knew everything when they played Quiz, but now one year later he can hardly speak and you can't understand a word. He has a brain disease, slowly it gets worse and worse. I admire his wife, she comes every day, the home is just in front of her house, and she is always in such a good mood and so helpful and friendly. Then two gentlemen came too, both normal, but one had Parkinson and the other was a widow and didn't want to stay home alone. 

The lady sitting besides me only talked about the food and that it was horrible and she didn't like it, while the others said the opposite. I don't care about meals, of course I like when it is good, but otherwise I think  I have to eat otherwise I would starve. The afternoon went by very quickly and then it was supper time for them and I left and returned home. In 2 1/2 months I also will be in a boarding school for oldies, but when I compare the two, I am sure I will feel good in my "castle". I still don't understand why Nicole has chosen the one which is so ugly and looks like a Hospital !  It's certainly not a question of money.

 


soon home sweet home !



more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
 
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Perhaps you can persuade Nicole to move to your 'castle'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it's too late she can't be moved anymore and she likes it where she is.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Jabblog. Perhaps NIcole will see how nice your "castle". I'm glad you chose a decent boarding school for oldies. And what a gift for the cancer people to have three free wigs. Take care of yourself, my friend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole can't be moved anymore. She can't walk anymore and needs a walker or a wheelchair. She loves where she is and her brain still works ! A miracle !!

      Delete
  3. Yes, it would be nice to have Nicole in the same building with you.
    I know this is a hard time and you are facing each day with determination.
    Hope your weather moderates soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am delighted you will have temperatures at Christmas like in Australia. That way families can gather together on the beach and parks for their festive lunches. And lots of icy wine/fruit juices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have missed too many posts while I have been looking after Bill. But are you moving again? email me and tell me the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be hard having to sort everything out again for another move but you seem to be doing well. I'm sure the wigs will be much appreciated. Here cancer patients can get free wigs. We're promised sunshine this week.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !