4 Jul 2023

THE ATOMIUM, BRUSSELS,

Atomium is the monument to the atoms for peace 

The Atomium was created in 1958 for the Expo-58. The futuristic construction symbolizes the atomic age, the huge capabilities of the atomic energy and its peaceful use for scientific purposes. 

André Waterkeyn, the Belgian construction engineer was the author of the project. The building began in 1957 under the leadership of André and Jean Polak. Initially, the surface of the construction was made of aluminum. However, during the renovation in 2006, it was covered with a steel coat. You can read more here







 
 
  In the inside of the tubes which connect the balls are either steps or escalators. 

An elevator takes you in seconds to the highest ball, which has a restaurant inside. For the first time we will eat there for my birthday, you have a wonderful view over whole Brussels and the restaurant turns, so you can really see everything. When I have been there I will write  more about


8 comments:

  1. That looks a fascinating place to visit. Hope the food's good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful sculpture, both modern and old in that it dates back to the 1950s. I'd love to dine there in the revolving restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been there, many, many years before its renovation, and I liked it very much. Quite an attraction, even then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gattina I've placed a comment an hour or so. It probanly didn't get through.
    I visited the place many years before its renovation, and I liked it. It was a great attraction even then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A peculiar structure, but photogenic.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !