4 Mar 2023

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

On Monday I went to the pharmacy to pick up the new medication the pneumologist had prescribed for me. It was not so a good day for me so I didn't dare to walk and took my car to drive exactly two buildings further. I found myself ridiculous but it's better to be ridiculous then fall on the sidewalk, and to find an excuse that I had taken my car, I drove to Nicole's retirement home to visit her. 

Having not called to see if she was in her room, I finally found her in the big room celebrating the birthdays of two ladies turning 101 and 102 !! They all sat in a circle and in the middle stood a woman who sang very beautiful songs. Countless cakes were on tables along the wall. I quickly said hello and although they invited me to join the party, I really didn't feel like it.

 I drove home thinking that of all my friends many were disabled now  or couldn't go out because they had all sorts of illnesses. From a photo of my painting group from 2010 of at least 16 people,  were only 5 left ! I'm the only one who hasn't been sick in years and I don't have anything else (apart from this damn bronchitis now). After all, I still made this long journey  in 2018. (and each night in another hotel !)

 

And then came this "plague"  that locked us up for 2 years and let us run around with masks as bank robbers. I spent the rest of the week with my photos, blogs and TV, as I was told, rest, and walk a bit.

Marie-Lou my neighbor from the second floor rang my doorbell very excited, she had a new phone and Whatsapp was gone !!! Since she absolutely had to make a phone call to Brazil, she was in despair. I comforted her and in 2 minutes Whatsapp was back on her screen and she called me 3 times to see if it was working. Overjoyed, she then ran to her apartment to make the call.


Now I've become a computer expert, which is easy when nobody has one, but only phones that they can't or don't want to do much with, except phone calls. With some people my age, you think they're holding a bomb in their hand that's about to go off!

As I had seen Nicole very shortly, I went on Friday. Now she has made her room a homely. I had found a nice little bouquet of fake orchids which look beautiful on her table, she also had some of her paintings now on the wall, and asked me to bring more little fake plants. Real once are not appreciated because the people forget to water them. We chatted and I laughed and I noticed that although she wanted to laugh she couldn't. Her daughter had already told me that. She can't laugh anymore and she was such a funny girl who loved laughing and giggling all the time !

 



more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
 
 
 
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear Nicole is not doing so well. Hope your new medication is helping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My late mother-in-law had a fake plant but she used to water it regularly, poor soul. It's sad to see someone gradually disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even slow quiet days can be good.
    You are such a blessing to Nicole. I'm sure that the flowers even though they are fake are very cheery in her room.
    I hope the medication helps your bronchitis.
    Have a good weekend, Mrs. Magic Fingers for the Phones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating that you are now the phone expert. Well, that will probably get around to ALL your friends and you will not have a moment to yourself anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how kind of you to visit Nicole. and how sad that she no longer laughs. that must be hard to see...depression is just awful. I hope the new medication helps your cough! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The notion of someone disappearing over time is very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes its a sad time in our lives when our friends are sick or dying. Hopefully we can keep going a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All those pretty plants in Nicole's room will cheer her up. You are a very thoughtful and kind hearted lady to think of others, even when you don't feel 100% yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good you were there to help your friend with her phone. I don't know what I would do without my hubby to figure all that out. I'm sure the little orchids will bring cheery color to your friends room.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !