21 Oct 2022

FRIDAYS FAVE FIVE

I started the week with a face cleaning. It's years I haven't done that and now I think I have to take a bit more care of myself, to do it for me as I have always done,  and not for others. Rick was always proud of me when I looked good and the people around him made him compliments about his "pretty" wife. And it's also better for me when I look in the mirror to see a human face and not a witch. And if Rick sees me from wherever he is, he will be also proud. 

I came out of there with a red face but quite relaxed. 

We had a wonderful weather when I went on an excursion to Lille/France to visit the museum Marcel Marlier, who had created the children book MARTINE especially for little girls.

 
 In this old farm the museum was located

 
Of course you could see many original drawings of Martine, merchandising articles, and personal belongings of the artist. For me it was very interesting because he had invented a new technique of drawings involving photographs. Lots of my travel companions exchanged childhood memories of themselves or their children, being all brought up with "Martine".

 
After that we drove further direction Lille and had lunch on a peniche with the name "Archimède". It was fixed to the ground of the little river, and had been transformed to a very nice Restaurant. There was "Carbonade" similar to Goulash with salad and fried, red and white wine, and then coffee with little cakes, which were delicious. 

Then we drove for half an hour to the next destination  which was outside Lille.

and visited the museum "Terroir à Villeneuve d'Ascq" which the family had taken over and transformed into a museum, to show children and young adults how people lived in the beginning of 1900.

this was their bedroom with "bathroom" and craddle

and the kitchen/living room ! Imagine to have to cook on this oven with these very heavy pots ! I remembered most of these things from my childhood when I lived with my grandparents on the country side. 

My hair needed badly a cut and Adeline's too. So I took her with me and now we both have new heads and another week went by.

And for once Rosie agreed to do a selfie !

After the hairdresser we wanted to visit Nicole who had to move into a retirement home, the same where we had our painting classes.

She was just for one day in her room, when she got all symptoms of a cold. Of course they did a Covid test and despite her 4 vaccines, she has got the virus ! Now she is in isolation since nearly a week and the worst is we are not allowed to visit her and she is very depressed. For the first time she told me that she was going to die ! I tried to cheer her up and told her to think about all the travels we had made together, what fun we had with her dog, and that she is not allowed to leave me here alone now, that all the other "friends" have disappeared and I still struggle with Rick's death.



more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
 
 
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. You went to some really interesting places!

    I am sorry your friend has covid, and now isn't doing so well. I sure hopes she gets over it so that she can enjoy some good time at her new living accommodations. And that you will continue to b able to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While maybe your life is a little empty without Rick, slowly you are being more social and getting out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a lovely day out in Lille. We have visited Lille as my sister-in-law's husband comes from a farm near Lille. Sorry to hear about Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom had a sewing machine that looked like that. Sorry to hear of Nicole being ill but with all those vaccines one would expect she'll soon recover, although I understand why she feels downhearted. You are a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you been getting out, which is good.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting museum that is! Any idea what the black thing with a long handle hanging on the wall next to the bed is for?

    I'm so sorry about your friend who has COVID. MY best friend who lives in Germany just found out she has COVID after coming down with a high fever, raging headache, and aches & pains. She said even her skin hurts. And she is fully vaccinated as well. Hopefully they are both feeling better SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you are looking after yourself and going on excursions again. The weather has been good to us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice outing you had! Looks like interesting places to visit. I'm so sorry about Nicole. I think the isolation is one of the hardest parts of Covid. I hope she's better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have cooked on a stove like that, and I have a treadle sewing machine (needs to be repaired).
    Your day out with friends at the museums sounds like a good thing for you to do.
    I'm sorry about Nicole. Remind her each day to cheer up. Soon you will be able to visit her again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear Nicole had Covid. I know you are close friends and it must be hard that you are not allowed to see her. It's always nice to see Rosie.
    I am a little bit sad at the moment because last year at this time we were in Tuscany and I so wish we could be there again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the photographs you have taken. They really do capture the flavour of the 1900's. Some beauty therapy is whateveryone needs to feel special. We are sorry to hear only now of Rick's passing. Keeping busy is certainly the way to be at times like these. Purrs and happy thoughts and best wishes for your friends speedy recovery from Covid.
    ERin & Mrs H x

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !