8 Apr 2022

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

On Sunday evening I was so euphoric about my new computer and how quick it was, but when Monday morning I opened it I saw that a lot of things had to be changed ! First everything was in French, and I am used to English with all these special words like "download", post settings, labels" etc.  I had learned all these words when I started blogging in 2006 and at that time everything was in English it hadn't been translated into French yet! When I suddenly got a "courriel" in my mail box I concluded that it must be an email in French. All other countries kept the word email. As the girls were working and one was abroad, I tried to change everything which wasn't like I was used to  ! In short it took me the whole day and then I had done it all now my computer was English again, but kept the French keyboard which is AZERTY and not QUERTY like in all other countries. I was very proud of myself but also had the impression that I had square eyes. 

The weather was perfect to spend a whole day inside, it rained ! I managed to prepare and post and Blogger moved without problems into the new computer !

 My new "professional" toy, HP and the compact printer.

The next day my photos had disappeared in a Microsoft cloud which I had never asked for. The Google cloud is enough. I tried and tried to get rid of that thing, but got fed up, watched a movie and then Adeline came to say hello to Rosie and have a chat !

When I visited Rick, he looked quite good and was sitting at his table eating a waffle ! I tried to start a conversation, but he changed subject all the time and said that he had been in prison. I asked him if the bed was good and he said yes. I have learned to follow what he was telling me and not to disagree. Then we went downstairs sitting with the others. They played a game I didn't know. Then he wanted to return into his room he was tired and I left.

During the night a storm started and this morning it whistled around the building and the trees bent ! I thought my terrace furniture would fly away !


Rosie didn't care, she had started her daily nap, to be in shape this night, as she had been this night ! She turns the rags around and runs through the apartment. Impossible to change her rythme, running around during the day and sleeping during the nights !

My son and grandson will come this weekend and stay with me for the first time. Toby had been allergic to cats when he was little, but apparently there is no problem with Rosie.  On Saturday we will visit Rick and probably have lunch with him, if it's possible. We can't take him out to a restaurant, he is too weak for that and would panic when he gets out of his usual environment. 

As my fridge was empty as the States budget, I went shopping together with Adeline. Expecting two geants with a big appetite I filled in the fridge so that you can't put a needle inside ! I had to buy things for breakfast and lunch, because I never have breakfast I have a brunch. Anyway I have enough I hope ! 

I also got a very good message from my son, telling me that Toby had been accepted in a very good secondary school as he has finished primary school. What I like the most is that the school is bilingual and teaches in Dutch and English. The Dutchs are more clever then the Belgians they have realized long time ago that without English you just can stay in your village and not work abroad. Also for travelling it's useful, in fact English has become the Esperanto an artificial language which some people wanted to create fortunately without success. I am sure that if I would have had a school like Toby's I would have been a much better pupil, but on the other hand I can't complain, I learned the languages by myself almost without school.

Now the wind became more and more strong and I am sure this evening in the News we will see some damaged houses and fallen trees.


more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

9 comments:

  1. Hopefully the storm didn’t leave too much damage. Good to know you are happily anticipating your family coming to visit. Bilingualism is so important. I once knew three languages, now only one due to lack of use. I remember being in a boat on the River Seine during holidays and the messages from the loud speaker were in many languages. Sadly, I understood only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done really well with your new computer. It usually takes me a long time to sort out the different ways of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had storms here this week as well, and tornado warnings. Thankfully all we got was a half hour of hard rain.

    I just got a new laptop at Christmas and got frustrated with the new browser and all its systems that wanted to automatically download. It takes a while to get a new computer set up just right.

    I'm so glad your son and grandson are coming!

    When my mother-in-law was in a facility for older folks, we found, like you have, that it's better to just o along with what the residents are saying. They get confused and disoriented if we try to bring them back to "reality."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your visit with son and grandson.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think your skills with the computer are very good, excellent even. Someones I still need to have hubby or one of my sons give me advice or help. LOL!

    How nice that you are going to have guests! I know what you mean about giants with bottomless bellies, LOL!!

    Hope it all goes well when you give Rick a visit and eat a meal together.

    Hope the storms fury has calmed down by now...sheesh, you hhave had so many storms this year.

    I used to know German and Italian as well as French, but now I am good only in English with also being able to have conversations in Dutch, and I can read it too, if I work at it...I knew Dutch long before I knew English, my parents were immigrants from the Netherlands in the early 1950's. (But my Dutch is stilted and awkward...when I speak it everyone speaks English back at me! LOL!! The reading is better, but it takes a long time...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandson is Dutch and at school they learn half in English half in Dutch, I think that's an excellent idea. He also speaks French as his Dad always spoke French with him. In Europe it is very important to know languages, in the UK and the States not so much !

      Delete
  6. Love a new laptop but hate setting it up. Glad you got yours up and running!

    I remember when my dad had dementia we learned early on to just agree with what he was saying. Arguing doesn't do any earthly good and can upset them further. Praying for your husband!

    I love a good rainstorm but not the aftermath...hopefully you didn't have too much damage. Today (Sat) it is raining hard here in eastern New York State. A good day to try to get rid of this sinus headache I've had now for 5 days and just relax. I might do a little laundry and am praying the steroid they gave me works forthe head pain so i won't have to go on a 2nd antibiotic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on getting the computer sorted out. We need new laptops but I'm dreading doing all the changing over. I hope you have a nice visit with your son and Toby and that Rick is well enough to enjoy seeing them too. Yes it's usually easier to agree with what he is saying even if it's nonsense. I found that with my Mum.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !