5 Apr 2022

ALICE 's ADVENURES IN WONDERLAND (OXFORD UK)

When I visited Oxford and stayed there in the Balliol College for three days, I visited of course the college where real Alice's father was dean. I think that most of the children at least girls in the whole world have read the book "Alice in Wonderland". I read it in German.

Lewis Carroll, was an English author, illustrator, poet, mathematician, photographer, teacher, and inventor. His most notable works are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865)

Carroll's biographer Morton N. Cohen reads Alice as a roman à clef populated with real figures from Carroll's life. The Alice of Alice is Alice Liddell; the Dodo is Carroll himself; Wonderland is Oxford; even the Mad Tea Party, according to Cohen, is a send-up of Alice's own birthday party.





 





You can read more about Alice's real life here

 

 PS I wrote this post using for the first time my new computer ! It took me nearly the whole day !!

 

linking to :

TRAVE:L TUESDAY 

THROUGH MY LENS 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Congratulations new computers take a while and what a great way to start with Alice in Oxford. I have just left here & am now back in Thailand. I hope one day we can meet in Oxford for a wander and some barley sugars! Great post!
    Have a wonderful week
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree, new computers should be called confusers! LOL!

    Its fun to see the places stories come from. Ann Of Green Gabbles was from Prince Edward Island in Canada, and I have been there...I know someone who visits the place where Lord of the Rings was filmed.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !