30 Oct 2014

MY START INTO MODERN LIFE WITH A XEROX

There is not a lot of choice to find an English word starting with X ! Letters yes, like XL, or X-rays. But suddenly I remembered my first start into the modern world with a Xerox word processor !

In 1990 had changed my job and worked in a Financial Company. My Boss always needed to have the last inventions so he had equipped the secretaries with a Xerox word processor ! I had never seen such a thing, but I had to learn to use it for my translations.


I think it must have looked like this 

Therefore he sent me to the Xerox company for 3 days to learn how to use this thing ! It was awful. I couldn't get into my mind that there were icons in which I had to put my text. And of course the worst thing was learning to use a mouse.

My mouse had its own will and never went there where I wanted it to be. The arrow always was in corners or at the end or on the top of the screen. My eyes popped out to find it ! I suffered like a martyr !

One day my mouse didn't work at all anymore ! No arrow on the whole screen ! If it would have been possible I would have thrown the mouse against a wall, but it was attached, wireless mice didn't exist yet. And suddenly I realized why the mouse didn't work ! Instead of holding the mouse in my hand and move it around, I had grabbed my cigarettes ! Of course it didn't work. At that time everybody smoked everywhere and you were even considered as an outsider when you didn't smoke. Times have change, now we have to live healthy. Anyway after the 3 days of intensive learning, they send me back to the office where I had to exercise ! I have to admit that I wasn't very talented and my colleagues had to help me out quite often. And now I handle a computer better than my washing machine !



Jenny Matlock
more participants at Jenny Matlock's Alphabet Thursday

11 comments:

  1. Guten Morgen! Ich habe bei X zuerst auch an Xerox gedacht, allerdings eher an Kopierer. Aber ich habs mir nicht getraut in den Copyshop zu gehn und einen zu fotografieren... -
    Diese frühe Entwicklung ist in der DDR und in der Nach-Wendezeit noch ziemlich spurlos an uns vorbeigegangen (oder habe nur ich es nicht bemerkt, weil ich nie eine Bürtoarbeit hatte?) - interessant, das mal zu sehen!
    Unsere früheren DDR-EDV-Systeme sahen ziemlich anders aus....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gattina .. Xerox X .. is a good choice - and the changes we had to adapt to in the latter part of the last century were interesting to say the least - yet look where we are now ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever of you to think of the xerox for your ABC post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend bought a used computer from a shop in about 1990 and was enthralled by it. What does the green writing on the black background do, I asked? He couldn't really say. I expect it was running DOS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story. I remember my first introduction to a computer in the workplace - it was somewhat similar....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to remember what it was like without computers now! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me laugh and brought back memories. I started out working with a typewriter (not even an electric one) and mimeography machine (I remember when we thought the Xerox copy machine was a miracle). And then later everybody -- bosses, administrators, staff, everybody-- had to become experts on computers whether we wanted to or not. A few of the secretaries in our office quit rather than learn, the poor things.

    Can't imagine being without one now, but at the time I didn't ever imagine that everybody would have their own in their own homes!!!




    ReplyDelete
  8. the old computers look so large and cumbersome! You've come a long way! Can't live without one now, eh? {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gattina
    Wow, I'm impressed at the thought of your washing machine lol This is a great X post and you did well to find a suitable photo, as well!
    I think we should all give ourselves a huge pat on the back for being able to master the technology of everything these days - I need another degree to operate the TV remote!!!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing how quickly things have changed in the last 15-20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The current machines are SO much better than those of some-time-back. So give yourself lots of credit for learning how to use that processor and being smart enough to ask for assistance.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !