22 Aug 2011

WHAT DID YOU DO THIS WEEKEND ?



Helps you to remember what you have done on the weekend of August 20. You never know if you need an alibi ! If you participate please put the little logo on the top of your post and leave your link.

On Saturday fortunately we had a real warm and sunny day and I took Claudie and Melissa to the center of Brussels.



We visited the Grand'Place of course, Manneken Pis, Brussels' folklore symbol, the famous puppet theatre Toone and the Galleries. We were lucky on this day there was a celebration of the the Pink Elephant Brotherhood with a parade, and Manneken Pis wore their costume. During certain events, he wears a special costume. This brotherhood promotes traditional beers from Melle, near Gent in East-Flanders. The most famous beer of Melle is "Delirium Tremens", known for the pink elephant on the label.



Stroking the saint at the Grand'Place and make a wish, the wish should come true. Both tried. Then we were thirsty and had a drink on the Grand'Place. Finally we were quiet exhausted from all this visiting and went home. I had ordered a Sushi menu which we were lucky enough to be able to eat outside on the terrace on this warm summer evening.

On Sunday morning we went to the Midi Market which usually has around 400 stalls. There were a little less, because of the holidays but still more than enough to see. It was very hot and humid and thunderstorms were announced. Fortunately nothing happened and we had a nice
walk through the market.



Melissa and Claudie looking at the jewelery, and walking through the stalls. Claudie bought a caftan and put it on when we came back late afternoon from another "sightseeing"



I drove her to Brussels to see the Palace of Justice, the "Cinquantenaire" which had been built by King Leopold II for the 50th anniversary of Belgium, the Royal Palace, the Belgian Parlement, and the European Parlement. Then I showed her were I had lived with my parents, and where I went to school before we drove back home.

Mr. G. had prepared Lasagne for us (or had rather bought it to say the truth) and we could eat outside again and sit on the terrace in the garden.

It was a tiring but very nice weekend.



8 comments:

  1. gattina you look so colorful ans swell!!!
    what a great life!
    After I get my life organized and become free I too will do as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gattina, I'm so glad you had good weather while Claudie visited. And now I've also seen more of your interesting town. Interesting to read about King Leopold II. I'm reading about his reign in the Congo at the end of the nineteenth century. BTW, I've added my link to your post. Have a wonderful week, Gattina. Hope the weather remains pleasant. (((Hugs))) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited the Pink Elephant Brewery in April with my cooking school. I tried a "Delirium Tremens" and loved it, but I prefer the "Guillotine" which is from the same brewery but a little less famous.
    It looks like you had a great weekend, it's so much better when the sun shines, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you ladies are having a fun time. I've been very busy with canning jams. I need to get more jars this morning so I can make plum jam this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to see that you had a wonderful weekend. I enjoy looking at the shots of where you live. Take care and have a wonderful week.

    ~Antonette

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun. It is hot and humid here too but with no forecast of thunderstorms or rain:( It is getting unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing the places in Brussels reminded me of the lovely tome we had in Belgium. We may be back again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great--and like you were having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !