13 Dec 2023

HODGEPODGE DECEMBER 13

1. Oxford's Word of the Year for 2023 is 'rizz'. Hmmm...before today had you ever heard the word? Do you know what it means? (Apparently it's short for charisma) Have you ever used the word? If you were in charge of the world, what word would you declare word of the year.

Never heard or used the word rizz ! I only know the Ritz ! Had to google to know what it means and Google meaning said :

"Rizz is a colloquial word, defined as style, charm, or attractiveness; the ability to attract a romantic or sexual partner," according to the Oxford University Press. As for the word's etymology, OUP says it's believed to have been taken from the middle of "charisma," much like "fridge" derives from refrigerator.

If that is the word of the year in Oxford, no wonder that there are still wars and troubles, my word for the year is PEACE. It's at least 70 years that everybody normal claims for peace and you see the result ! Charisma and fridge ? what a combination !

2. What's one word you tend to abbreviate in your writing or speech? (as in rizz for charisma) 

SOS, BBC, UK, DVD

3. Are you a Hallmark movie watcher this time of year? What's your favorite character from a holiday- themed movie, book, or TV special? 

I don't know any Hallmark movie, and as for the moment we are drowning in Christmas songs and movies and decoration, I have rather an overdose !

4. Something you look forward to eating this month? 

Oh no ! I can't hear it anymore ! that's the main question here "what are you eating on Christmas" or, today, or during the week ! I don't care about food. I eat because otherwise I would starve, but it is not my main preoccupation.

5. What's the most stressful part of the holiday season for you?

Stressful is not to know with whom and if I will celebrate Christmas. Without Rick it's  not the same anymore.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Last year Rick passed away and we celebrated Christmas the three of us and I also had decorated our home. But this year my life turned upside down,I suddenly realized that he really would never come back. My health declined,  I had to move into a boarding school for the oldies, the only thought I have is : I wished that I can hand over the apartment to the landlord without problems, and that all these festivities stop ! I want to recover and feel more or less normal again !

 

 

Once upon a time .....

 

 

13 comments:

  1. Peace is a good word for sure. The world sorely needs it. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how hard the holidays must be for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear of your Rick's passing.
    I feel the same way about food; except for pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gattina, I'm sorry for the loss of Rick and all that it means in your emotional health. I hope you can find some peace soon and that you can feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This must be a very difficult time of the year. I hope once Christmas is over you will be able to look forward and enjoy the company of your fellow residents. Maybe you will feel up to doing some painting again.

      Delete
  5. One Australian dictionary has chosen two words of the year to make one. I had not heard it until the award and it is 'cozzie livs', which means cost of living rises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's even more crazy then the Oxford one, when I read cozzie livs, I thought it would mean cozy living !! Which sounds better then cost of living !

      Delete
  6. This is a very difficult time for you. It won't be long before the festivities will be over and hopefully you can start the new year getting to know more of the residents and making some new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is rather hectic at this time of year - overheated houses and shops, over-done 'music', too much food, too much of everything, too much emphasis on what you'll be 'doing' and all for one day, which would be better spent in peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favourite word for this year is "epic".
    The words I tend to abbreviate are typical Australianisms eg dressy for dressinggown, hoppy for hopscotch; undies for underpants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too will be a bit happier when all this hub buh that involves Christmas would be over...I prefer the more quiet reflective parts of this holy day.

    Sending you big hugs I know its so hard for you to be alone as in no Rick.🥰❤️🥰

    ReplyDelete
  10. Social media. One can have interesting words. Today I learn a new word. "Trumplican"

    ReplyDelete
  11. The world would surely be a better place if we all made PEACE our word of the year every year! Praying you find your own sense of peace during this holiday season, despite the difficulties you're facing.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !