8 Dec 2023

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

Now that I feel better, I decided to go to the restaurant and join the others. When I arrived all tables were occupied and finally I ended up with 3 ladies. One couldn't see, only a little bit through a hole in her eye, waiting for a surgery. The second was a little funny lady, she had forgotten her hearing aids and I had to scream, but she was full of humor and made me laugh. I couldn't believe that she was nearly100 years old a few months missing, but all her brain was 20 ! An example to follow. 

The rest of the day I spent with computer and TV, and little Rosie was watching the birds outside.

She almost caused me a heart attack, I woke up at 3 am, the room was full of light people were speaking loud and it took me a few minutes to understand that Rosie had walked on the remote control of the TV !

Rosie's bird watching place !

The next day I went again to the restaurant, but before I had to give a paper at the reception and of course got lost in this enormous castle. But I also could see other rooms, because the doors were open, and also parts I hadn't seen yet.

I had less luck this time with the people at my table, there was a man hanging in a wheelchair and sleeping deeply. His wife told me that he doesn't eat anymore and that he sleeps all the time and she is bored and said it would be better that he wouldn't wake up anymore. I agreed. Soon or later it will happen, I think, it will be rather soon. The other woman had also lived in Waterloo and we talked about the village it had been before and now a city with a lot of traffic. We both said how lucky we were in our castle with the huge park around, where nothing had changed. 

In the afternoon I was invited by my friend Laura and we chatted the whole afternoon. We know each other for such a long time since she married my Indian colleague in 1970. We lost contact for a bit, but now that her husband died shortly after Rick, the old friendship has blossomed again and we have both realized that friends we have known for a long time, have remained, while the others have disappeared or died for some reason.

I have also emptied my last bag and there are a few things missing. Fortunately they were all still in the living room, so it was not so dramatic ! 

On the 6th was Saint Niklaas day which is or rather was very much celebrated in Belgium, and especially in the elderly generation. So they were so happy to get a special breakfast with a chocolate St. Niklaas and 2 slices of raisin bread called "cramik". Some of them were happy like little children

 

Each day at 3 pm there are games or other things to keep us busy. One afternoon we decorated  the first of three Christmas trees ! The others followed the next days.


We had a lot of fun especially when a ball fell on the floor and those who still could run picked it up.

and here is nr. 2 ! In the restaurant

and here is our Restaurant.

We have also made a game with finding words, to keep our brains fit ! Was very interesting. So now I think when next week I give the keys to my landlord, I will jump to the ceiling for joy, and then I can finally settle in properly without any worries.


 





more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're feeling better and settling in and doing well enough to eat with some of the others and get in on some of the activities. I think before long you'll have lots of new friends there. But it's so great to visit with old friends, too. I know it will be such a relief to turn the keys of your old apartment over to the landlord and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing, catching up with old friends who you hadn't seen very often recently. The memories are precious and the catching up produces laughter and tears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What changes in your life and you are facing them with great attitudes. Rosie has a lovely bird watching view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new home looks like it will suit you very well, I like the Christmas trees and dining area and it does look like a castle on the exterior.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good that you are happy there. it must be good not having to cook meals any more. We are having problems now. Bill is frail and can't do much and I have sciatica causing me awful pain. So it is hard to do the chores now. Doctor says I need an operation. So I'm worried about Bill looking after himself when I'm in hospital. Carol has a new job so might not be able to come and help. Oh well guess something will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whata beautiful place that you now call home!! And I am so glad you are feeling so much better!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !