5 Sept 2023

I GAVE GOLD FOR IRON


While I checked the jewelry pieces I had found in a case, I found this wedding band ! It must have belonged to somebody of my family, because the stamp was dated 1914. On the outside was graved : Gold gab ich für Eisen 1914 which means "I gave Gold for iron". 

First I thought what a stupid idea, but then my grandpa explained me why ! To finance the war, the young married soldiers "had" (no obligation, but you better did) to give their wedding band and got this sheet ring instead. Clever idea, I only hope that my post doesn't inspire those who love wars and have not enough money !



5 comments:

  1. Interesting. That was quite a sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a country to your east with a basket case economy because it has spent so much on war and suffers sanctions. Perhaps Putin will insist everyone replaces the gold rings with iron to raise funds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Gattina, hope you are well. I've been away from blogging for many months. I'm usually too tired in the evening to take the time to blog. But I hope to start again soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very unusual and a piece of history. Maybe a museum would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and a clever idea too, hope that Putin slept at school in history lessons !

      Delete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !