27 Apr 2023

HODGEPODGE APRIL 27

1. April 26th is National Audubon Day, honoring John James Audubon, the French-American ornithologist, naturalist, and painter known for his detailed study and illustration of birds in their natural habitats. Do you have a bird feeder? Any birds in your home decor? Have you ever owned a pet bird? What's your favorite bird? 

John James Audubon

and one painting I liked the most


As I painted myself and spent years in the painting academy, I thought I would know almost all painters, but that it impossible, each country or continent has their own famous once. For this reason I have never heard  of this painter and as he painted mostly birds and I paint cats, we had not at all the same taste. I only know the most famous birds, like a magpie, or a sparrow, etc, but all the others I don't know. One bird I really love which I discovered thanks to an Australian Blogger who introduced me to a laughing bird ! I thought this would really be funny if I had one in , except if it starts laughing at 5 am ! It only exists in Australia, unless it was taken for a Zoo in other countries. Isn't that a mood lifting bird ? I never had a bird because I prefer cats !

2. What's something you took to 'like a duck to water'? 

 Playing around with my photos and change them or add something etc; (photoshopping)

3. Empty nest, nest egg, proud as a peacock, free as a bird, birds of a feather flock together, or the early bird catches the worm...choose one and tell us how it currently applies to your life. 

I am certainly not an early bird, the worm is safe with me, unfortunately I am free as a bird and I sit in an empty nest the one who shared it with me is gone.

4. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds...your favorite seed and a favorite food or dish made with that seed or topped with that seed? Have you tried all the seeds on the list? Any you don't care for? 

Except chia seeds I have tried them all. I love poppy seed cake or rolls which are very famous in Germany.


5. Something in the past week that made you 'happy as a lark'? 

The visit of my son and grandson this weekend

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I think that during at least 5 years I didn't even had a little cold, I had no covid, I had nothing. Ever since Rick is gone, I had a heavy bronchitis, and now an awful cold. It's still cold and dull outside which doesn't raise my random mood ! 

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. The Laughing Jackass /Kookaburra/ Kingfisher family is my favourite bird. I hate to see birds in cages, they should be free to fly. We are discouraged from having bird feeders because wild birds need to remember how to catch their prey or find nectar in case the human stops feeding for some reason, then the bird will go hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stress of seeing someone through illness and death affects your immune system and therefore you are more likely to be ill. Your upcoming cruise will do you the world of good x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago in my childhood we used to sing a song about the kookaburra. It was a fun little song.
    I have never tried poppy seed cake but it does look delicious!
    Hoping your spirits lift as the weather warms and sunshine returns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audubon I am quite familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the kookaburra song from my childhood but I agree that 5am is too early to hear that kind of bird outside my window! I'm sorry you haven't felt well, and that it's lonely in the nest - I do know a little about that, sitting here in my own rather empty nest. Visiting (late) from the Hodgepodge.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !