1 Apr 2023

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

Guess with what I start this post ? It rains and there is a strong wind. Just ideal to hide your head under cover and pretend it's still night. I think it would be better if I was a fish and enjoy to swim around. Instead I did my household scores in no time and then looked after sandals, because the once I have are antiques now and I have to give them away. 

On Tuesday at 7 am (!!) the phone rang ! I thought a catastrophe had happened to dare to wake up a retired person at this criminal hour,j  I shouted in the phone Aaaallllooooo and heard "Happy Birthday to you, etc, a voice like a frog and not like Pavarotti ! I interrupted this concert and told the man that my birthiday is in July and 7 am is a bit early anyway. He was very sorry that he had dialed a wrong number, and I was sorry that I could fall asleep after my "happy birthday". 

At 10.30 my "social assistant' with the romantic name "Honorine" arrived and did all the things which leave me quickly breathless. She is an angel, she even did my filing ! 6  months of paper mountain and put them in folders. She is a real nice girl coming from Cameroon , married to a Belgian. Even Rosie liked her not like Maria ! She even has computer knowledge ! She had taken care of Rick too.

I had called Nicole to tell her that I would come and she was happy because there was no interesting activity in the retirement home. When I arrived she lay on the bed her face white, and the nurse told me that I had to return, she had fallen out of her bed when she tried to get up ! It's so sad, each time I go and visit her she becomes weaker. Her head still works perfectly, only she forgets quickly. But she can hardly walk and has no strength in her hands. Instead I did my shopping and  bought my weekly fruits, not much choice, grapes, clementines, apples and pears, and each week more expensive. The government says we should eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, but the salaries are not increased.

I spent the afternoon with my neighbor of the first floor also a Nicole, she doesn't have a smartphone yet and I showed her the very simple one for seniors which she can certainly learn to use.

 
I bought this little bouquet from a girl which seemed to be an emigrant they are the first signs of spring and look so cheerful !

Each morning when I want to listen to the News, it's always the same, so I watch the English Royals that's far better and more romantic.
Slowly our garden gets green and some plants start to blossom. The white spots are the raindrops on the window !


 



more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
 
 
 
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that Nicole is declining, but it's so good of you to visit.
    Food prices keep going up - quite shocking and very hard for the poorest in society.
    I love the daffodils in such a pretty cup.
    Have a nice weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely bouquet of flowers! Somehow this turned out to be a day of celebration even if not your birthday. Someone gave you a gift of their time and you did something nice for yourself and your neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you got some help but sorry to hear Nicole is not doing so well. Yes it keeps raining here too. I bought some daffodils earlier this week but they're all drooping now so I need to throw them out Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bouquet is so bright and springy. It's good to see plants and grass greening up outside. Your social assistant sounds wonderful. I'm so sorry about Nicole's decline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the greening of your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry your good friend is doing poorly. Your visits surely cheer her up a great deal.

    Its beginning to get greener here, too. Spring is trying hard! It rained hard here on Friday night, and today its been drizzly all day, even some snowflakes.

    How nice that you have help with your chores and other things, too...and that she is liked by Rosie! That is a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my friend doesn't have a smart phone.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those flowers are so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the flowers! And agree that watching the news can be stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've had some windy days in my area lately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's hard to watch a friend in decline. But there is something so wonderful for the friend and for ourselves in doing so.

    The flowers are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry that your friend is not doing well.

    Your view is lovely! And the flowers in the cup so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, did that mug come with the flowers, it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so sweet to keep visiting Nicole.
    I love your last photo. Soon you will not be able to see the house on the other side of the wall because of the trees leafing out.
    Your helper sounds like a great girl and very efficient. Have a good week ahead--hopefully it will truly be springlike.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !