1. Tell us anything you want about your January.
That's quickly done, on January 1, I didn't feel well and thought I will get the flu. But I had no running nose, no fever, nothing, just feeling bad. That lasted a week and then I called the doctor who prescribed me antibiotics and in a week I felt better, but I am still feeling weak.
Besides getting rid of my few Christmas decorations, which took me two days, I didn't do anything special, my neighbors did the shopping for me, just fruits, the rest I had enough stock. January is a terrible month, there is nothing to do outside, the weather was awful but fortunately today it's over !
2. Lake Superior State University posts a list each year of words they think should be banished from the Queen's English for misuse, overuse, and/or general uselessness. The 2023 list includes GOAT, inflection point, quiet quitting, gaslighting, moving forward, amazing, Does that make sense?, irregardless, absolutely, and it is what it is. Which of these words/phrases do you use regularly? Which of these words would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word/phrase not on the list you'd like to add?
Of course I won't use the word Goat every day, but if I am on the countryside what should I say then ? Sheep with horns ? I still move forward and not backwards, in fact it doesn't happen very often that I am quietly quitting, especially when I am angry so it can also be loud. And it's amazing that amazing is on this list, I think they should rather banish the word banish and replace it by "taken out" ! I don't think when I speak and the words sputter out, maybe I should add every day : OK I will check, I google !
3. February 2nd is Groundhog Day. What's something that feels repeated in your life right now?February 2, when the groundhog is said to come out of its hole at the end of hibernation and sees that the weather is sunny, it goes back into its hole, because it thinks there will be six weeks more of winter. Maybe I was a Groundhog in my previous life because I too prefer my hole.
What feels repeated ? all days, always the same, Routine days, and I hate it. I stay in my hole and wait for my energy to come back !
4. What's a food you love that's named after a place?
The Berliner (from Berlin)
5. What's the best season of the year to visit your city or your part of the country? Tell us why.
That's a good question ! Especially since the climate change ! I live near Brussels and besides January you can come each month, and visit things with or without rain, when it's cold or warm, there are no rules. Sometimes May is nice, last year it rained every day, July and August is never guaranteed it can be cold or very hot ! Better google before going and ask for the weather !
6. Insert your own random thought here.
It has now been 8 months since Rick passed away. I thought that over time the sorrow would ease a bit, but the opposite is the case. Now that all the paperwork is behind me, I realize that I'm missing him in all corners and it happens that I hear or read something and want to tell him, open my mouth and close it immediately. And then it hurts again.
I force myself to go to the cinema or the theater and to travel a bit, not for long just to be distracted. But I don't feel the same joy as before. I also became more anxious and more aggressive towards men, because lots of them think that I am a weak old woman, it's for sure that it takes me more strength to handle things I also did before, but then Rick was there to back me up.
I am going to see what exactly a Berliner is. It looks a bit like a small donut without the hole so I need to see if there's typically a filling. Looks yummy! 'm sorry you are so keenly feeling your loss. Grief has no timetable so be gentle with yourself.ReplyDelete
These days when I get up for the first hour or so I wonder if I'm coming down with something.ReplyDelete
GOAT, in this case, is an abbreviation. Greatest Of All Time, the GOAT. Pop culture reference from the last ten years or so.
That I wouldn't miss if it was removed from common use.
I am new to your blog so I wasn't aware of your loss, but please accept my condolences. I live in Waterloo, Ontario so already we have something in common!ReplyDelete
I went to school in Kitchener for a couple years...Conestoga College...I am from Brampton, and now live in Michigan the past 35-1/2 years🇨🇦Delete
I enjoyed reading your post but sorry that you're still finding things so hard.ReplyDelete
Sorry I haven't been visiting lately...sometimes I get too busy to visit all my blogging friends...ReplyDelete
I sure hope you'll get some better weather, that might help you to feel better as well. Do you have SAD? (Seasonal Affective Disorder, caused by a lack of sunshine and bright weather. My mother was like that...Sometimes a special light can help with that.)
Grief will come to cause issues at any and all unexpected moments...and it hits like a ton of bricks. It feels abnormal, but it is very OK, and normal. I am glad you have good friends there who can support you. And you are doing the right thing by trying to be involved in outside activities. I think that river cruise you have planned will be a good thing for sure.
That silly groundhog came out on a very sunny day...6 more weeks of winter...and right now its about -15C here, Brrr! He was right, LOL! However the calendars all say that Spring starts on March 21, which is about 6 weeks from 'Groundhog Day'! LOL!
Lets hope you will have a nice weekend.😃🥰