27 Oct 2022

HODGEPODGE OCTOBER 27

 

1. In two or three sentences describe yourself to someone who has never met you.

I would say, that I live in Belgium since 1958, but still have my German passport, that I love writing and art and architecture and also photography. For a start that should be enough

2. Will you celebrate Halloween this year, and if so tell us how? Let's play this or that-chocolate candy or fruity candy? pumpkin seeds or pumpkin pie? Halloween party or scary movie? hay ride or corn maze? carve a pumpkin or paint a pumpkin? 

Pumpkin festival

Nothing at all, Halloween is not that much celebrated. In some schools, maybe in families who have kids. This year there are some Halloween shows, but pumpkins are not a Halloween dish. It's rather the pumpkin season. 

3. What's something that scared you when you were young? Are you still afraid? 

Horses ! I liked them but I was scared and admired them from far. 

When I had to take my son to riding lessons I stayed far away from the stables. And suddenly this fear disappeared when I was in my 60th  ! I even put riding a horse on my to do list.

If Queen Elisabeth still sat on a (little) horse until she died, I think with an old, little horse, I would do it. Unfortunately I haven't met the horse yet.  


4. Your favorite soothing drink? 

I would rather drink a strong Italian espresso, which I like very much. I don't know any soothing drink for me !  

5. Are you thinking about Christmas yet? Does this make you feel happy or stressed? 

Neither the one nor the other. It will be the first Christmas without my man and that is more than sad. I don't know how, if and where I will celebrate with my son and family (only 3). 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

The season called "fall" let my mood fall too. I see myself in a rather good condition,  I don't have medications to take except the powder for my chronic lung disease, which bothers me from time to time. 

Unfortunately when I want to travel or go out to a theater or a show or an exposition, my friends either passed away, or have strong health issues and are unable to walk in an exposition, or going into a theater because the seats are not high enough etc etc.

I like them all very much, but except of going out for lunch, or visit each other there is not much to do. In fact I have very good contact to the daughters of my friends, they like me because I can tell them so many funny stories out of my life when I was a Teenager or in my 20th. Their own mothers married early got children and never had a real youth. While I went out dancing,  had boyfriends, traveled, had a car and enjoyed life before and after my marriage. I realize now, that I was one generation ahead of the women my age. I had a good job, as translator at 21 and was independent from my parents.  My childhood perhaps wasn't great, but from Teenager age on I had a very cheerful life without any responsibilities, only for myself.  

Poor youth today, they already lost two years of their lives with the Covid and now the situation in the whole world is no glorious either.

 

    

Here I am at 18 on a carnival ball



 

2 comments:

  1. I am sure you were quite a wicked teenager and young adult. Well not wicked, but you had plenty of fun and I am sure there is much you don't say about your young years. In your youth summary, how does that connect to your grandson? He seems well adjusted and has coped with the world, no doubt helped by having good parents. Do you think he is fearful for the future of the world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You led and lead an interesting life, and I always enjoy reading your Hodge Podge answers.
    Yes it is hard when the things we want to do are curtailed due to our health issues making limitations. But visits and going out to lunch are good pastimes as well, at least I think so.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !