10 Dec 2021

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

On Monday I was talking with Rick's friend to organize a visit schedule, so that he has always one visitor and not two, as long as he has to stay in bed because of his bad state due to the Corona infection he had despite the three vaccines. Suddenly the telephone was dead. I called her on the mobile just to say good bye. When  I wanted to switch on the TV it didn't work either, Internet was gone. I tried to get internet back but nothing worked. Our internet provider didn't even answer the phone anymore and a female voice told me that works are going on in our part of the city and it would end at 9 pm !! The whole day without internet what should I do ? My heart sank. And then suddenly I had an idea, I went to the Carrefour Supermarkt, to the hairdresser ! The hairdresser was busy, so I did some shopping and returned home. Of course still no Internet.

So I took the opportunity to start looking into Rick's computer. First all the USB sticks, there was a lot he had saved from me so I could free 2 sticks. On one I found a cute photo of little Rick on the canon which is standing in his home town, a left over from the 1st WW, but now a welcome thing to play with

I couldn't make it better, it is a 76 year old picture ! There were other old pictures with friends I didn't know or did not recognize and then a picture of my parents and us after the civil wedding.

Suddenly the TV went on and I looked on my watch it was 6.30 pm and internet was back ! I hadn't realized that it was so late already. But better for me because I had "Our World" to do. At 9 pm I am tired.

Before I went visiting Rick, I had to buy some cleaning products and his home is close to the shop where I had to go. They had had a lot of Christmas decoration but that day very little was left. So I bought a big Father Christmas for Rick's room which sits now in the armchair and keeps him company. Of course I forgot to take a picture ! But he seemed happy with his Father Christmas. 

Inside the retirement home was this beautiful Christmas tree and the whole first floor was decorated

Later a nurse took a picture of the residents under the tree, and they all had a lot of fun. I dragged Rick downstairs, with me on one side and his stick on the other we managed slowly slowly to join the others, now I have asked for a walker, the stick is not enough, he looses balance very quickly. It was nice to see him with the others and he even managed a smile. 

Rosie's claws were long and as I don't dare to cut them, I went with her to my trimmer friend, who is the hairdresser for cats and dogs. Rosie sang I don't know what, maybe Christmas songs the whole way long, but then stopped when she was out of the car in her carrier and in 5 minutes her pedicure was done ! We both women chatted a bit and then I drove a less singing Rosie home. 

 
I still have not done any Christmas decoration but then I found on YouTube one and a half hour of Christmas songs with this nice picture, and while I was typing Rosie admired the tree.

Last year I found a masked Father Christmas and bought it immediately ! I thought this will be a special one from the first worldwide pandemia where we all lived in complete lockdown. Never ever I had imagined that one year later we are still with our Virus, and the masks ! And now I should buy one for 2021 !

 

more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

11 comments:

  1. What as find. You, Rick and your parents. I did not think your parents as adults during the war would look like they do, 1960s modern.

    Back in the good old days when the internet went off I would spend the time sorting things out on the computer. Now, it is hard to find time.

    Australia was pretty well virus free last Christmas. I was looking forward a non pandemic 2021. It was not to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to get one of those last year and they were all sold out! The nice ones anyway, only the ugly plastic ones remained.

    Glad to hear Rick was doing well enough to go down and join the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo with the two couples is a delight to the eyes! Beautiful women, handsome men!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so fun to come across old family pictures. What a nice-looking couple you made!

    A walker is a big help--hope you can get one for Rick soon. I'm glad the retirement home is cheery.

    How nice to have Rosie's nails taken care of so quickly and easily.

    I love that Santa, or Father Christmas ornament with the mask.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What youth and hopefulness in that wonderful wedding picture. How great those early years are that often go underappreciated until we look back. So sorry to learn of your husband acquiring the virus, despite all the vaccines. Hopefully, all those efforts will produce a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best to bring Rosie to a professional for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure a beautiful tree.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you were able to help Rick to see the beautiful tree where he lives. A walker for sure sounds like a good plan.

    How wonderful that you discovered those almost forgotten pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is fun delving into old photos. I wonder if that WWI cannon is still there in Rick's hometown. And you two look so sweet and young in that picture with your parents.
    I'm glad that Rick could get down and enjoy the party. Yes, a walker will help.
    Rosie singing "I'll Be Home for Christmas" and "Silent Night"? Great entertainment :)
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photo from your wedding. It's always interesting looking at old photos. I have lots from my grandmother but many are of people I don't know and there is no one around to ask now. I'm glad you managed to get Rick up and about but yes a walker would probably be safer than just a stick. Hope you don't have any more internet problems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those are pics to keep for sure. Liked seeing your wedding photo! Glad Rick was able to go down and join in the picture. A walker really does help a lot. Funny how we've all come to rely on the internet for so many things in our lives and we feel lost when it goes down. I cut our cat's nails, he's very good about it. But our dog? Now that I am scared to do because some of his nails are black colored and I don't want to hurt him. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !