5 Nov 2021

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

The week started with a holiday, it was All Saint's Day and everything was closed. As it rained cats and dogs the people had brought their flowers to the cemetary the day or days before watching carefully the weatherman. Therefore the town was really empty when I looked down on our boulevard which in the mornings and evenings is quite full.

So once a year people remember that there is somebody on a graveyard and run from one to the other. This is an old picture when the sun was shining. They mostly bring Chrysanthemum. They look beautiful hold a long time and gives the grey yard a colorful touch. 

Adeline my neighbor dressed in black was exhausted from all the cemetaries she had to visit from the grandparents to parents and siblings all burried in different graveyards in Brussels ! Therefore she was happy to come over (next door) and have a coffee with me and I learned a lot about the amount of cemetaries in Brussels and surroundings.

I went to Mr. G. (at the beginning of blogging we had to give ourselves a nickname and as I choose Gattina, I called him Mr. G His real name is Riccardo which is too long so I'll call him Rick.

His condition had worsened and he had fallen out of bed again. Now finally they have attached a barrier to the bed so that he can no longer fall out or get up. Parkinson's patients are very restless and have to move around or walk around their room all the time. I didn't stay long and when he suddenly fell asleep I quickly left his room. 

On the way back I wanted to have a cup of coffee with Nicole, she also had fallen out of bed and layed on the floor for 4 hours instead of pressing her emergency button that was next to her. She absolutely wanted to get up alone. Every bone hurt now, but she absolutely doesn't want to go into a retirement home That was enough for me for the day, I helped her tidy up a bit and fled home.  

The view of the brown leaves on the lawn  is not exactly a happy sight ! But if you look straight ahead it's beautiful.

Nicole had asked me to drive her to Carrefour (supermarket) for her new glasses. Now she becomes very slow and forgets a lot. We had lunch and then I led her to the optician while I went to the hairdresser just besides. 

At least something nice ! After that we had a coffee in a nice little cafĂ© and then I drove her home. 

The week ended with a phone call of my son who told me that Rick has now also the Covid despite the 3 vaccins and I can't see him he is quarantine. I wanted to go in the afternoon which I did for the laundry, meanwhile the rules had changed and the whole retirement home was closed. I gave the laundry and asked how he is and the nurse told me that he is feeling better and that he had even eaten ! Maybe now they will discover that the Covid vaccin is good for Parkinson ?

I don't understand anything anymore went into a shoeshop, bought new slippers and a pair of black boots, which I really needed. There is a proverb : 

If everything goes bad, make yourself a pleasure !

Rosie watched TV with me, I have to say she tries her best to comfort me !



 

more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear he is not doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so sorry that your husband has COVID and the retirement home is closed to visitors. Interesting that he's feeling better despite COVID. That's so sad about Nicole's fall. Maybe being in a retirement home would be better than being on the floor for 4 hours....but then again, I understand wanting to stay home as long as possible, too.

    The leaves are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am SO SORRY To hear about your husband having covid...and it IS weird that he feels better with having it!!

    Perhaps your friend who laid on the floor for 4 hours could go to an assisted living place?? not a hospital or nursing home but somewhere where the nurses check on the residents. The kind where htey have their own apt? My dad didn't wanna leave his home either but he had to for his own safety.

    I hope you continue to enjoy some nice warm Autumn days with all of those colorful leaves falling down.

    Happy Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colour in the garden is stunning.
    Fingers crossed for Rick's good health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The vaccine hasn't prevented Rick from getting the virus, but it'll make his illness mild. That's what vaccines are for., to ease the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anyone who goes up to graveyard to visit for any of the All Hallo Eve Stuff.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry that your hubby has covid, and that you can't go there to see him now. t has been like that where I work,too. This virus is such a hard thing for all of us; young or old, care giver or ordinary persons to deal with. I hope he'll recover and feel much better soon.
    Falling out of bed is so scary.

    Your friend is brave, but maybe next time she won't be able to get up at all; assisted living helps with that, here peeps who live in those kinds of places are more or less independent, they just need help with a few things, and often their minds are still intact. Nursing homes/care facilities are for peeps who truly need help with many aspects of doing their daily living activities.

    The view from your balcony is marvelous and peaceful, too. I hope despite the foreboding of winter that it gives you respite and solace for your mind to watch the changing season's beauty, and to know that all is in the care and guidance of God's hands.

    Rosie is such a blessing and comfort for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was sorry to hear your husband got ill despite the vaccines. Hopefully, his condition will be much lighter than it would have been otherwise. When we ourselves are in a comfortable space but our loved ones are not it is challenging not to despair. Looks like Rosie is up to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am sorry Rick has covid and that you can't see him. That's hard on everyone.
    You are so good and kind to Nicole.
    I love the view from your balcony. And it is nice that you can share that with your neighbor.
    Re: mums. People around here where I live now have so many mums! They are beautiful plants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry your hubby ended up with Covid. I hear that if you have the vaccines the symptoms are much less harsh than without. Hoping that is the case for Rick. I'm so sorry to hear your friend fell. It is so difficult to come to the point of admitting when we need help. My mom was the same. Praying for your friend. I'm sure your friendship to her is a great blessing. The view from your balcony is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !