25 Jun 2021

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

Half of the year is already gone and there are not many changes finally I get so used to my restricted Corona life that I don't even know anymore if I miss the "free" life or not. Anyway I can't travel Mr. G. still being in the clinic. So I started the week with resting on my sofa relax did some blogging and fell asleep while I watched a movie. That was my day !

Scrabble this time took place here and again I forgot to take a picture as for once we were all there, the group was complete ! I was even afraid that I didn't have enough cake, but there was even one piece left. As usual it was a nice time and I forgot my worries for one afternoon. 

I lost a lot of time by calling the health insurance only to take an appointment  in the agency 5 min from my building by pushing on all buttons one by one and listening to what it corresponded until I arrived at number 9, the last one which was for "all other questions" It's a real scandal people get more and more angry, finally we do all the work and what are the employees should do. 

My friendly neighbor is 84 fit like a young girl but of course has never learned to use a computer, she always has to ask one of her sons and she hates to be dependent. I have gotten an invoice from my health insurance which was refused and somebody had written (on the invoice) see annex. But instead of an an annex there was only a blanc page ! How can you explain this through the phone ? 

While I was typing it made "bing" like an interrupted phone call. I checked the phone and my mobile there was nothing. After a while it made "bing" again, and again I checked the phones and even the remote control !! Nothing. Then suddenly I saw my neighbor's head looking around the balcony door and made big signs. She had rang the door bell on our floor which I had never heard ! People usually ring the entrance bell. And when I told her that the day before all Scrabble girls took their mobiles out of their bags because they had all heard "bing". We really had a good laughter. 

My neighbor invited me for a cup of coffee in the afternoon and we chatted about our life now here in the building and it was really nice. Then her son arrived very nice too and he told me if ever I had problems with carrying things to the basement or something to fix I should ask him,  he comes every day to check on his mother on the way back from work ! Isn't that nice !

The next day I had a "family" meeting at the rehabilitation clinic of Mr. G.  As I arrived a little early I had the opportunity to see the other side of the building where a way leads into the woods. Benches everywhere it really looked nice.

Then a lady came and led me to the conference room. Sitting there was his female doctor, and a speech therapist. Mr. G was present to at least for the first 15 min then he asked for going back in his room he couldn't concentrate well anymore. At the end of the table was a tablet on which the head of our son appeared. 

Now all they wanted was how we will proceed for the future. As it was impossible for me to take appropriate care of him even with a lot of help we had to find a retirement home. But I had already made sure of that. I suggested the one  we both knew, Mr. G has taught the seniors there how to use a computer or tablet and did that for 7 years as a volunteer. And I had or have there (depending on the virus) my painting course. He know the place the people and most of all for the beginning the building the rooms and the whole internal environment. 

The speech therapist asked Mr. G. if he agreed with this compromise and he said yes ! I even had the impression he was relieved. That's the ideal place, he knows many people, it's close to our home and I can pick him up for some afternoons. Was I happy that even in his conditions he agreed and remembered the place. Anyway when it is time I will follow, for me and all my friends it's the best. Nicole when she can't live alone anymore has also asked for a room there, so probably in a near future they will find each other there ! And they both like playing cards !

Now I will go there and they will recognize me as "Madame Chat" (Mrs. Cat) and as we are both on the inscription list hopefully he will get a nice room. 

When I came home I had the feeling as if a bag of stones has fallen off my shoulders, I was so content and will be happy when it is for sure that he gets a room ! This retirement home was shown as an exemple on TV and was the only one which had no Corona virus infected people.

It is really hard to find the right decision for a beloved person which would be the right solution for both of us. Our son was a bit reluctant, he only wants the best for his father, as if I want to put him in a storage room ! Finally the Social assistant told him that his father couldn't be better then there.

So one step into the future is done ! All depends now on Mr. G. progresses. 



more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

8 comments:

  1. I think it must be hard for people who do not see someone on a daily basis to realise how bad or how good a person is. But very happy that a solution has been found. Fingers crossed he gets to move soon and then it will be a bit easier for him and for you.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God!! So happy (and thankful) you found a good nursing facility for your husband to move into. That must be a big relief!! and to think you used to have your painting class in the same building!! that's nice.

    I hope you can travel soon. We are all open here in the USA so we are MUCH relieved now that's is Summer!!

    happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the right decision has been made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so good Mr. G. can go to the retirement home he's already familiar with and that has a good reputation. It's a hard decision, but it helps to know what's coming up. That's great that your neighbor's son comes regularly and offered to be of help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how hard it is to make those decisions. Fortunately, my father was fully able to make those decisions for himself, and he found the best place.
    How sweet of your neighbor's son to offer to help you.
    Scrabble afternoons are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always hard making those decisions but at least Mr G was able to have some input and I'm sure you are doing the right thing. I don't know what it's like in Belgium but here if you have someone at home and are assisted by carers it can be very mixed as to how it works. I'm sure you must be very relieved but it's still hard on both of you. I hope the move happens soon and goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thrilled you were able to agree and have found a care home that is suitable for Mr G. How very nice to have a good relationship with your neighbour and to be offered help from her son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy that Mr. G was able to get into the place that is familiar to him. That is a real blessing. And to be so close to you is wonderful. I know when my mom was out of town it made the day extra long when I had to drive that far. Very nice of your neighbor's son to help.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !