17 Jan 2020

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

I think each year it is the same, after all the festivities, celebrations and events in December, January is rather boring, if only the weather would be normal, I mean cold, and sunny and not still  warm temperatures and tons of rain. Plants start to bloom and to my great grief the weeds start to grow in the red gravel ! It has been the warmest month since there are weather stations.

Most of people are feeling not well, mentally or physically, lots are sick. I had sometimes asthma attacks but rather seldom and not worthwhile to mention but since more then a month I really have them more and more often and cannot do physical work or long walks and certainly not quick, I have to walk like a snail, only that a snail doesn't walk.

Fortunately the week started with our Scrabble group and as usual it was fun and as we all were a bit morose it really lifted our mood. Laughter is the best medication !



The game lasted until 5 pm so we just had some cookies and coffee and as usual cat Arthur was so happy to have company that he sat between Nicole and Myriam.

Unfortunately the next day I had an asthma attack, I don't know why and it was difficult for me to breath. I couldn't do any physical work and have absolutely to find a cleaning help at least for the tiles and parquet. My cleaning lady is in Ireland helping her daughter who expects a baby in the next days. She will stay 5 weeks ! Good for her, bad for me.

I found a good occupation where I didn't have to move, I photographed old pictures from the 80 from the dog Bianca and the cats Mitzi and Max we had in the 80th.



Except the dog who became 8 years old the cats made it all to 20 or nearly 20. The rapid was not ours, it was the rapid of the school and my son had asked me if he could keep it during the school holidays. Which of course we did with pleasure. I was an only child and never allowed to have an animal, so I started with one cat when I lived alone, then we got a second and the dog and at one moment we had the dog, 4 cats, 1 guinea pig and the school rapid. Nice was that they all went very well together and even played together.

On Wednesday Mr. G and I went to the hairdresser, we have the same in the Carrefour store and after that we had lunch which was nothing special but good.

Then we had to go to the social services to ask for a nursing aid for Mr. G to help him in and out the bath. We were lucky we got one from Monday on. I think because they know us quite well, because Mr. G. taught people how to work on a computer there and me from the painting course. Now he doesn't need a nurse anymore, his hip has healed perfectly, but the bathtub is too dangerous for him (and me) to get in and out safely.



Arthur now likes to jump behind the Television since we have the new furniture, or he helps Mr. G. to read a notice for a weather station !

My asthma wasn't better the next day so I only went to our painting class to take photos and forgot to take them, then we went for lunch because at 2 pm we had a theatre play.



It turned out that it was two ridiculous guys who mimed different situations for which we four were too stupid to understand. On stage, the duo laughs at ordinary situations: shooting a Penalty, sawing a tree, catching a fly, picking up a phone… All without a word, but body expressions ! Nicole after not even 10 min fell asleep, Myriam was bored and tried to sleep, I started a Scrabble on my smartphone but the lady behind me was disturbed by the light, so when a few laughed I decided to try out if I can still whistle, I tried it 3 times without success but then it worked and a loud whistle woke up the seniors !

That made my 3 girls laugh so much that we left the theatre one hour before the end. We would have died of boredom. We were not the only once as the lady at the exit told us.

This was really the very first time in 10 years that the play organized by the city for the seniors was such a flop !

It was so boring and ridiculous, not even a two year old would have laughed.





more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

14 comments:

  1. I always feel sorry for performers when an act does not work. Maybe they have no talent, maybe they can't see that they are boring, but they try. It's not good that you haven't been so well, but good that you still get out and do things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes. Winter has arrived here in New Hampshire. Today it is -18C. I have two layers of clothes on and I am still cold. We got 8 inches of snow yesterday and expect 8 inches of snow tomorrow! Ugh! My asthma has also been bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of your health issues and breathing problems. Winter sure can seem long.

    Here in NYS ( i live about 3 hrs north of NYC) it is only 12 Degrees F here today but we do t have any snow. We are supposed to get some tomorrow!

    Feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha … although the mimes do make an interesting picture, sounds like your whistle stole the show and got the most laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arthur sitting between your friends is just so adorable :-)
    I once fell asleep in the theater because the play was sooo boring. Sometimes they turned around and spoke towards the back wall instead of the audience, which made it difficult to hear what they were saying.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bathtub is dangerous with or witout nursing aid. Perhaps your Mr G could switch to a shower like many other seniors.
    As for the asthma attacks, try to find out and track what triggers it. It's possible.
    Feel well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have a bath and a separate shower. I used the bath a lot: to keep my clothes in and such, but never to actually get clean!
    The last time I used a bath in a hotel, I nearly fell over trying to get out. Nah, don't like them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see your old cats and dog. I don't like mimes, I can never understand what they are trying to say. Haven't had a bath for years, much too dangerous and I think most Australians prefer showers but not one over the bath tub.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry you haven't been feeling well. Asthma seems scary. I'm glad you were able to get out a bit. When we can't do anything about the weather outside, making fun inside helps. I'm glad Mr. G. got a bath aide so quickly. That's too bad about the performance, but it sounds like you and your friends made some fun moments out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arthur certainly enjoys company.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your asthma improves soon and you feel better. Shame about the play. Yes baths can be tricky as we get older. Good that you didn't have to wait long for the appliance though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laughter with friends truly is great medicine! I'm sorry your asthma was acting up. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In English, we have a saying for walking slowly "walking at a snail's pace", although snails don't 'walk'.
    You always manage to have a fun time with your friends!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !