19 Apr 2019

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

Weeks are flying by ! When it's Monday it's suddenly Friday ! And I am not the only one who has this impression !

Mr. G is still in his rehabilitation center, but can't do very much as he is too weak and has first to put on weight. He also got two blood transfusions to make him stronger. The surgeon is satisfied with the operation and the hip replacement. Mr. G. is not satisfied because it doesn't go quick enough ! He is very impatient.

I try to distract myself as much as I can otherwise I would get crazy between laundry, driving 40 km, the paperwork (that's the worst) for the insurance and the bills which hail on me instead of the health insurance !

Now we start the week with Scrabble but chatted that much, that we stopped the game earlier !  and... as usual I lost.

We are still friends with a couple since ages, I worked together with the husband he is Indian and she is French. But it was a long time we hadn't seen each other and decided to have lunch together.



It was delicious ! I had the goat cheese and my friend the seafood salad !

Then came the birthday of my dear friend Nicole ! 80 years old now. She is the first one in our group, the next will probably be Ilona and I. But being 80 and looking like Nicole and being in such a good health is encouraging !



Here she is she had prepared everything herself !



Somebody had brought two balloons which should be hung on the wall, but none of us managed to blow up the thing and it ended up in a corner. But we had a lot of fun with that !



There was a delicious birthday cake and 4 others, we couldn't eat it all ! Fortunately after us came Nicole's children and grandchildren and she celebrated a second time. The grandchildren (or rather adults) took care of the remaining cake !



and Isis her little cat kept us company, she loves to be with people and went from one to the other !
Such a cute cat. At one moment we couldn't find her anymore, she slept between the two Teddy bears !

At the end of the week summer arrived, it was warm and so nice that we thought we should go to the Bois de Halle-Hallerbos also called the "blue forest" with carpets of bluebells between the trees.



Usually the blooming of the blue bells starts mid April, but there were far less this year we probably were too early. It is a beautiful forest for walks.

After having seen enough blue bells we were tired and thirsty and looked for a cafe or  restaurant to have a drink.



We ended up in the Golf club of the 7 fountains, where I had been the last time when I was 21 !!
At that time the castle was owned by a Belgian Duke who had married an English Duchess, they had 7 children and the last one was my boyfriend for a little more then a year. I recognized the castle's outside immediately, but the inside had completely changed. The Duchess had sold the castle to a company who had made a Golf Club out of it. The swimming pool had disappeared and the wood at the back of the castle too, the old kitchen was now a modern meeting room, and the wonderful old chimney had been modernized to an awful grey thing.

We sat on the terrace in the sunshine and I narrated my romance with the young Duke, while we watched mostly vintage men swinging their golf clubs. It was an excursion into the past for me and  I enjoyed it very much. Happy with our day, we returned home.




more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

6 comments:

  1. You should have chased after the oldest boy and you might be a rich Duchess today. Good to hear Mr G is slowly recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a problem with Blogger, your comments don't show up in my email so I have to check all the time if somebody has commented ! Do you have a solution ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your husband heals well from his surgery!

    I always like seeing your photos!!

    Someday my husband and I hope to visit Belgium!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That shot of Isis with the teddy bears is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear. I hope Mr. G heals quickly and can be home again soon.
    Happy Birthday to Nicole! She looks great!
    That Duchess's castle looks like a wonderful place to visit (loved your story about being there when you were 21!).
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel bad for Mr. G. I hope he can regain his strength soon. I know it's hard on both of you with him being away and unwell.

    Belated happy birthday to Nicole! She looks great! Fun story about the castle and the duchess. Odd that they were turn such a nice building with such a history into a golf club!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !