6 Dec 2013

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE



more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

1. The week started "nice" ! At 3 am I caught a very surprised cat Pookie, carried her downstairs and locked her in the guestroom. She had to have dental surgery and therefore an empty stomach. The rest of the night I didn't sleep very well, I was worried about poor Pookie. I had foreseen a lot of traffic but there was nothing and I arrived 15 min earlier. On top of that the vet was 5 min late and I remained for 20 min sitting in my car with a singing cat ! Even the radio didn't help. When the vet finally arrived and had opened her cabinet I stayed with Pookie who after a shot started slowly to fall asleep. Then I hurried home, changed for Aqua Gym, picked up Dominique and fell exhausted in the warm water and swam a few rounds to destress. As usual after gym we had a lot to discuss around a cup of tea, and then I went with Dominique to the vet again to pick up Pookie, but she was still deeply asleep and the vet suggested that I should come around 6 pm, when she would be awoken.

The afternoon I spent with creating all kind of Christmas stuff, cards, labels, headers etc. things I love to do.

Then I went again to the vet and found a very alert Pookie singing in her cage ! I payed the bill, not too much my vet is a very generous woman. In the car I let Pookie out of the cage and she didn't say a meauw anymore, she looked outside. Arrived at home, as soon as she jumped out of the car, like an arrow she went upstairs immediately to her food bowl and gobbled down a whole bowl ! All my worries had been for nothing, when I think in which state we humans come back from the dentist after having one molar and two teeth pulled out ! I think I don't need to make a description.

2.


My autumn season basket didn't last very long, as we switched from summer almost immediately into winter and it was time to change my basket for Christmas time. After some researches I found the decoration in a plastic bag together with the Easter stuff. Here you see the result. Fortunately I didn't put an Easter bunny in the basket by mistake.

3. We want to do a New Year's party at Dominique's so I went next door and we made plans. Everybody should bring their drinks and one plate. Then we will make a cold buffet. And to avoid that we have 3 times the same salad or cheese plate, we decided who has to bring what. We discussed how we would arrange the table for the buffet and the seats around the open fire, the decoration and what we would do to spent the time cheerfully until midnight, with some funny New Year's games. Now everything is settled, at least for New Year's Eve.

4. After a few days of sunshine the rain is back and the temperatures dropped to freezing point. I digged out my winter coat and put the spring and summer jackets and raincoats away. In the afternoon I went to the Charity shop for battered women, to see if there was something interesting to buy.



When I went inside, a Saint Nicolas was sitting in a corner and I thought what a nice decoration ! Suddenly the decoration moved its head and it took me by surprise, I was so startled that I jumped a step back and the people around me laughed, the Santa too ! I didn't find anything and as Nicole lives nearby I stopped there and we had coffee together. It was dark when I returned home and I took some pictures out of the windshield when I got stuck in the traffic ! The white spots are raindrops !





My son sent me this picture, apparently Toby is less afraid of St. Nicolas then his grandma !

5.


The retirement home where we have our painting classes once a week, was nicely decorated for Christmas and the ladies had made themselves all kind of little things for sale, like napkin holders, knitted bonnets, Christmas tree decorations, scarfs, Christmas cards and paintings. I bought two Christmas decorations.

In the afternoon a storm arrived, and when I look out of the window, I see the trees bending down, dangerously and I heard that at the coast waves of 6 m ( 20 feet) high are expected !

10 comments:

  1. I like Saint Nicholas's hat better than I do Santas, they should swap. Toby is taking his visit to St. N. very seriously.
    Pleased Pookie has recovered well from her teeth problems. I came home in a state from my dentist yesterday and I only had my teeth cleaned.
    Next time I will try Pookie's dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, in the future Pookie can travel in the car out of the cage and will be happier?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh 20 foot waves???
    Toby looks cute with Santa.
    Santa isn't smiling though.
    Not his cheerful self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had never such a market in amsterdam indeed, only a skating ring at the Leidse square. But to my surprise we have a huge one now at the Damrak. It almost looked like we were in Germany. Christmas was not a big deal in the Netherlands, we celebrated sinterklaas with presents. But under the infuence internet and people travelling more abroad, things are changing now I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had never such a market in amsterdam indeed, only a skating ring at the Leidse square. But to my surprise we have a huge one now at the Damrak. It almost looked like we were in Germany. Christmas was not a big deal in the Netherlands, we celebrated sinterklaas with presents. But under the infuence internet and people travelling more abroad, things are changing now I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my daughters celebrate St Nicholas day which is today!! Their wooden shoes are full of candy and little jewelry items....fun! That St Nick is very nice in your picture. And your grandson is a cutie!! How fun to plan the new year's eve party already...i'm still working on Xmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad Pookie is doing ok after her surgery.

    It has been a busy week but I hope to get some Christmas things done this coming week.

    I would have been startled by the Santa, too, if I hadn't thought he was real!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have been afraid of a moving Santa/St Nicholas statue too.

    Poor Pookie--no food all day. Cats do seem to recover very quickly and I'm glad Pookie is fine.

    Stay safe in that awful weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good to hear that pookie is doing well...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Christmas decorations coming out and making their appearance. You made me laugh when you said you found your Christmas with stuff with the Easter bunny. Sounds about like my storage.

    St. Nick looks a bit different in your country than he does in ours.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !