4 Sep 2008
13 GPS (Sat Nav) mishappenings
1. Gobal navigation system is called GPS in Belgium, Navi in Germany and Sat Nav in the UK. I don't know how it is called in the USA.
2. Drivers following their satnav's instructions through a village were stunned to find themselves driving along a narrow track at the edge of a 100-foot cliff.
3. An English woman's country house was under siege from truck drivers obeying satnavs and ploughing into her cottage - 15 times.
4. A truck driver was stuck in his cab for three days after his satnav directed him down a narrow country lane, where he became hemmed in by two banks and an overhead pipe. Luckily for him a friendly local family passed him three meals a day until he was rescued
5. A German motorist took his satnav literally when ordered to 'turn right now', executing an immediate 90-degree turn and ploughing straight into a building site, up a flight of stairs and into a loo.
6. A taxi driver drove 200 yards into a river under directions from his satnav, leaving him stranded in the river.
7. A young couple ended up amongst a sheep herd
8. A Christmas shopping trip to Lille in France ended up 100 miles away in a Belgian village with the same name after their coach driver made a satnav blunder. It took an extra four hours on the bus to get to the right Lille in France.
9. A German driver in Hamburg maintained his faith in his satnav, even when it directed him onto a construction site marked 'closed for construction'.
10. A 20-year-old student had a narrow escape when her satnav directed her to drive onto a remote level crossing, resulting in the unplanned destruction of the car by a train.
11. Hundreds of drivers were sent down a narrow country lane towards a river. When they got there expecting a road bridge they found a disused foot passenger ferry platform.
12. A trucker driving from Turkey to Gibraltar on sat-nav ended up 1,600 miles adrift at the North Sea at Lincolnshire (UK).
13. I love my GPS, Satnav, or navi very much but I won't follow it blindly and then land up in the King's castle restrooms !