25 Aug 2007

GETTING OLD AND HAVING FUN

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
"Happy" pictures are here





With 57 Pookie is still a young girl !


Each thursday morning I go to my painting group. We are all retired woman and a few man the youngest is 57 and the oldest 85 ! In total about 30. Our "class" room is located in the Waterloo's retirement home. It is very big and usually used for all kind of festivities by the people living here.


Our group is worse than a kindergarden, or maybe a class full of Teenagers because of the giggles. We are very noisy. There is a lot of laughter and our teacher has a voice like an amplifier not to teach but to tell us about the stories of her life ! And as there are many, she never runs out of subjects.


Unfortunately during July and August we are on "school" holidays. It's very frustrating because we are all on eternal holidays so why forcing us to stay home for two months ? Holidays shouldn't be allowed for retired people.


Therefore four of us decided to brake this rule and get together anyway. As the room is free on thursday mornings we meet together there to paint and more to have fun. We are the toddlers of the group. Quite often pensioners are looking through the door to see who makes such a noise because we talk and laugh a lot.


It's amazing how some people in their 80/90 are still so young, sometimes even younger then a 30 year old. They do plenty of things, are always occupied, even have dancing lessons and a lot of other activities. It's a real pleasure to see and talk to them because it proves that even at a very old age you still can do a lot of things and enjoy life. In some way it is reassuring that getting old on your passport doesn't mean that you are getting old in your mind.


There are even 4 people, two women and two men who are 100, 101 and 102 years old and they still live in a flat, not in a room, with their own furniture and even a little kitchen. These flats a part of the home. Of course they don't cook anymore not because they are not able to do it but because they are too lazy. Especially the women told us that they have cooked enough in their lives. None of them walks with crutches, they walk slowly but safely. When you talk to them it's just like talking to somebody your age or younger. They went with the time and didn't get stuck in the past. But when they talk about the past it's very interesting. Can you imagine being born 100 years ago ? All the inventions which have been done ! From telephone over washing machines, television and computers ? We even walk on the moon now !


When I see these people I only wish I would become old their way and not sit in a corner and getting on the nerves of my children and complain the whole day about all kind of diseases and how lonely I am and that everybody has abandonned me ! Because that I see here too. Waiting from meal to meal, watching people and TV and just do nothing else but yammer the whole day. These people indeed are very old even when they are only in their 70th.



16 comments:

  1. I like your post here! I enjoy to read it and when you are speaking I think to my grand mother who was 20 years for ever. Quand elle avait 83 ans elle allait régulièrement dancer toutes les semaines avec son groupe d'amis. Elle adorait danser: tango, valse, tcha- tcha-tcha... slow and even jerk! Elle adorait la mode et elle était toujours bien mise, bien coiffée. Une fois je l'ai même rencontrée à la plage avec ses amis et elle venait de s'acheter un beau maillot de bain tout fleuri et elle m'a demandé comment je l'a trouvais. En plus elle cuisinait super bien. J'ai toujours trouvé que les femmes originaires du nord est de laaa France près de l'Allemagne étaient beaucoup plus dynamique et joviale que celles du sud. Pas la même vie. Ma grand mère paternelle elle a eu 10 enfants, toujours habillée de sombre, les cheveux attachés, à la casba, mais d'une grande gentillesse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friend

    We are inviting you to read our article on Looking For A Long Lost Friend to help Sandy search for her long lost friend.

    You may post and copy the Looking For A Long Lost Friend post in your blog to help Sandy search for her friend and add our badge along with the article posted.

    We hope that your act of kindness will be rewarded.

    Thank you, friend
    Best Regards,
    NAFASG TEAM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine you ever being old! The one drawback about being young is you never have time to do what you want because you are always working!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't you figured it out yet.. ....
    holidays are for the instructors not the students.

    It is nice to see people grow old graciously, sadly I am not one of them. I think aging is "God's cruel joke.)

    Now that I can get American TV stations, I am constantly bombarded with ads to combat ED (erectile dysfunction). (Canada does not allow direct to customer marketing of prescription drugs.) How depressing is that. Seems Americans are suffering from performance anxiety. Could this explain their fascination with guns and bigger and better weapons?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with your words here! I see it a lot when visiting my Mom. she is alost the only one really alive there, despite the fact that she is probably the one in the most bad shape of them!!!!

    We've a lot to learn from these young aging ones!!!!

    It's one big truth: Life is what you make it to. Simply enough :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: You are such a positive person you failed to not that European centarians have lived through two world wars and the great depression. I admire their courage at facing life's struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a co-incidence! We did the same theme this week! Only that I didn't write as much as you. :P

    I admire elders like you, who are still active and full of life. I wish to be like you when I grow old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMEN Sister Gattina!!! I have the same hope as you for my old age! Let me LIVE it YOUNG! (not sure i'll have a bunch of great stories to tell though.... i guess i better get started on that!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh! I just read the comment above mine! Gattina ... you didn't TELL me YOU are old!!! Now I want to be like YOU when I grow up too!!! ROFL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gattina ~~ Good post and I am glad you and your friends enjoy your art
    classes together. I like the cartoon
    Don't let old age get you down = It's
    too hard yo get up. How true that is Thanks for your comments about the memorial gardens there are in Belgium. Of course there would be many there.
    Take care, Gattina and continue to enjoy your life. Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you wrote about being old, but in your mind your still like you were at 18 or so!!

    This is how my Mother was,she lived to be 88 and she always said her body felt old but in her mind she still felt young!! She didn't act old either!!

    This is a great post!!
    I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You unruly bunch of hooligans...Thats what it is all about, having fun all the way.Like the saying at the end

    Cheers Mark

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truer words were never spoken. I'm glad your still painting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gattina. Good post Sounds like you roudy lot are having a lot of fun in that class.
    You bought back memories of me taking my mother to be admitted to Eye and Ear Hospital,When we were taken upstairs to her room Mum Said to nurse your not putting me in there with those old people unfortunatly they were in there own world , The nurse replied Mrs.... Your older than them Mum said I dont care if I have to go in there im not going to be admitted, So they found another room with active people, Mum was 92,and still looked after herself well that ward was the rowdiest even the nurses had some fun and gave mum chocolates when she left.Unfortuneatly Mum Died of breast Cancer at 94. Growing old Gracefully. your only as old as you feel.. keep young...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just dropping by to thanks for your nice comment on my blog and to say hello!

    Have a nice Sunday!
    Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post and what fun you must have with your painting buddies. You nailed it with the fact that staying young means staying active. Your age in nothing more than a number.

    I really enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !