21 Jul 2007

BELGIUM NATIONAL DAY

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
"Tiny" pictures are here






Today is national day in Belgium. A kind of independence day too. Wikipedia says :


The 1830 Belgian Revolution led to the establishment of an independent, Catholic and neutral Belgium under a provisional government and a national congress. Since the installation of Leopold I as king in 1831, Belgium has been a constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy.


So people are hanging flags at their windows, not very much apparently flags are not so liked. A big parade takes place in front of our king, together with the queen (not THE QUEEN) and the whole family. Of course the government is also represented. The city park is prepared to receive people afterwards with shows and games and in the evening fireworks are taking place in the whole country.


Politicians make a lot of (bla,bla) speaches which nobody listens to. But yesterday evening out of the TV screen spoke our king Albert II.





As you can see he didn't wear a crown and royal outfit as THE QUEEN uses to do but only a (not so) nicely cutted suit. He smiled fatherly to us and first thanked the doctors and nurses who had taken care of him when he had broken his hip and the whole medical staff in his country.


Then he told us to learn each others language to better understand the other's culture, referring to the constant quarrels between french and flemish speaking people. I was a little doubtful about the culture since I had travelled with this flemish group, but you should never generalize.


He gave some other fatherly advices and ended his speach with good wishes for a happy national day also in behalf of the queen (not THE QUEEN) and his whole family. Then appeared the castle where he lives and the usual head of the speaker replaced him on the screen.


Today the big parade takes place in front of the king, and his family and of course the governement. And as on each 21 July it will rain. The belgians call it affectionately "the national shower". It doesn't happen very often that it doesn't rain this day.


So we all can watch wet soldiers, wet firemen, wet horses, in short a wet parade.


But nevertheless people enjoy that day and very important : it's a day off !

7 comments:

  1. HAPPY NATIONAL DAY!!! Fly that flag, girl!
    I hope it doesn't rain on the parade, in spite of tradition!!! Your king does have a fatherly look about him. Have a good day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY NATIONAL DAY!
    Rosie a t-elle sorti son petit drapeau? Je vais regarder aux infos! Dommage je n'ai que les chaines de TV principales, Tf1, antenne 2, FR3 France 5 et la 6, car j'aurais bien aimé suivre plus longuement cet évènement! Mais bon, je regarde si peu la TV que je n'ai pas pris d'abonnement pour le cable. Ton fils a bien de la chance! C'est donc un jeune skipper? J'adore la voile; Faire une croisière comme ça, me plairait beaucoup!
    J'espère quand même qu'il ne pleuvra pas chez toi aujourd'hui! Bon on verra ça aux infos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Gattina... ENJOY your day OFF! I WISH I could celebrate with you - I don't think after having all of last week "off" that my employer would love me if I called today and said I'm taking off for National Day! No... I MUST go to work ... momentarily.

    You know... NOT having A queen (not THE QUEEN) in America - I never thought about how inappropriate it is that we treat THE QUEEN like THE Queen!!! It is true, LOTS of countries have queens... so what's so special about THE QUEEN???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gattina ~~ Happy National Day - I hope you enjoyed the holiday. Thanks for your kind words about my old photos and it is nice that we had similar hair dos and bathing suits.
    Gkad you see what I mean about havung a big coking day and then a rest. I have taken meals out of the freezer for my granson and me. Take care,
    Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A VERY HAPPY NATIONAL DAY!
    Have a lovely and wonderful day!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your nice words! Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have a good holiday, National Day. You have a handsome King.

    I also came by to tell I've given you an award and please come over to my site and pick it when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy National Day ! Enjoy all of the celebration. I love your tiny photo this week.

    Visit mine:http://thelifeandtimesofgran.blogspot.com/2007/07/photo-hunters-tiny.html

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !