25 Jul 2023

ZINNEKE PIS- THE DOG OF MANNEKEN PIS


Only few people know that the  famous Manneken Pis, symbol of Brussels. also has a dog, Zinneke Pis.

In 1999, on the initiative of its creator the sculptor Tom Frantzen, had the idea to give Manneken Pis a dog. This dog, often discovered by chance, surprises and amuses passers-by. In old Brussels dialect (“brussellair”), Zinneke means both the little Senne (river that once bypassed Brussels) and a mongrel dog. Today, Zinneke is the symbol of cosmopolitan and multicultural character of Brussels.

If you own a dog which is "composed" of different breeds, the Brussels' people call it a Zinneke.


 

5 comments:

  1. Our Benji is definitely a Zinneke!! I call him my ragbag!! LOL! His heritage is multiple, we are sure of that...not sure which ones though!

    ZinnekePis is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this sculpture. It's great to go with Manneken Pis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this - he looks so real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is interesting. I had never heard of either statue.
    I love that you know Madison, Wisconsin. We were in Racine, which is right on the Lake Michigan shore. (also, my parents lived in Waukegan, Illinois, near the shore for two years when I was at university) Lake Michigan is the deepest of the Great Lakes and therefore most blue and most like the ocean.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !