27 Jul 2023

HODGEPODGE JULY 27

 1. July 25th is National Merry-Go-Round Day. Do you call it a merry-go-round or a carousel? When was the last time you rode one? Did you enjoy that? Metaphorically speaking, what's something in your life right now that feels like a merry go round?

I had never heard this expression and first thought that it was a spelling mistake and it should be "Mary" goes around. Which I could understand, in short she walks in circles. But then I googled and it was a completely other meaning ! and it was Merry and not Mary ! According to Google it meant "continuous busy activity or a continuous series of changing events". And yes there is something in my life right now which would fit, I am tired of the merry-go-round of raking my brain when and how I should leave my apartment and long to settle down in the home I choose and don't move anymore.

2.  What word do you have a hard time pronouncing? What word do you have a hard time spelling? what's your favorite word in another language?

I think in my case I sometimes pronounce the words wrong. I said vaise, instead of vase, or an ouul instead of owl That's why I mostly write and not speak. When I am in England often people don't dare to correct me because they think I would be offended, but I am thankful when somebody tells me the right pronunciation.

My favorite word in another language, that's difficult for me. In German, French and English I don't have a favorite word, maybe in Italian.  My husband called me "Bionda" which simply means "blond". But in my ears it's my favorite word. Unfortunately I will never hear it again.

3. What's a phrase or cliche you use pretty often and find to be true?

 

4. When it comes to grocery shopping what is your most dreaded chore-menu planning, the actual shopping and paying, or the unloading/putting away? How often do you shop? Do you use any of the pick up and/or delivery services?

I hate shopping, although besides fruits, cheese and bread my list is not too long. I don't cook anymore so I don't need anything else. I don't use delivery services, I change my mind too often, so if I order something, I would probably want to change, I prefer to see what I buy.

5. Something you need or want to do before July comes to a close?

The only "thing" I want is impossible to get neither in July nor in other months 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I always have to think about how to get from my apartment to the retirement home! Where do I put the furniture, where do I put the whole household? I also have some valuable items that need to be sold. There is probably someone who takes care of everything, but at the moment I'm at a loss.


 


8 comments:

  1. One step at a time, Ingrid, and little by little you will get there. At the moment, you can't see the wood for the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be a bit of work but put your valuable furniture on Ebay or similar to sell. Less valuable, put them out on the street for other to enjoy, or some free sell site. Really personal stuff is a bit harder, but you can work it out. Think clearly, and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things sound hard for you and I hope that all will come together for your move and your downsizing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe your son can help you with all the work involved in that move...or your younger friends.

    Make a list, maybe of things you would really want in the new place, then edit it as needed.

    Give Rosie a hug for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the states there are companies that will (for a fee) help you sell or gift your belongings. Maybe you have something similar? Just keep doing the next thing, no matter how small, and you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Downsizing and moving can be so difficult! I hope you have someone to help you figure out where everything goes. I love your Snoopy quote - I can't believe how old people my age are either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your answers and your thoughts on #1. I often will google what things mean or their origin because sometimes, I've just known about and never it's history.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !