22 Mar 2022

THE ATOMIUM SYMBOL OF BRUSSELS EUROPEAN CAPITAL

What the Eiffel tower is for Paris, the Atomium stands for Brussels. Both were "left overs" from World's Fairs, the Atomium stems from 1958 just a year before I was exported to Brussels by my parents.  Unfortunately they didn't have the idea to visit this exhibition as my father already lived in Brussels in 58.. Maybe he went there alone. Anyway later  I have visited the Atomium I don't know how many times, each time we had guests from abroad first with my parents, then with me and Rick the first thing they wanted to see was the Grand'Place and then the Atomium. 

The Atomium is a giant 165 billion times enlarged model representing an elementary iron crystal cell and it can be considered as a mixture between sculpture and architecture.

view from far


coming closer


The entrance


in the ball on the top is a restaurant where you have a wonderful view over Brussel

The emergency exit

Inside the tubes

The exit

 

You can read more about the ATOMIUM here on my travel Blog

 

Linking to 

TRAVEL PHOTOS SOUVENIRS 

THROUGH MY LENS 

TRAVEL TUESDAY  

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a an amazing structure!

    Love that tall kitty on your header!! A royal kitty by the looks??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it from the first time I saw it, maybe at your blog. Btw, a mention of you in tomorrow's blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I changed my settings, this is just a test for me !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen such structures as models in a lab setting. I must not have known about this large scale version.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !