23 Dec 2019

AAWWW MONDAY - WEEKEND NEWS DECEMBER 21






After Christmas meal !


Linking to AWWW MONDAYS




******


WEEKEND

I have to make  a memorial for myself ! I only don't know where to put it, maybe in an extra private post in this Blog. The reason is that for the first time in my whole life I haven't spent Christmas Eve on December 24 as respectable people do (would my father say) !

Since I am married,  instead of the December 24 at 6 pm sharp, dressed up in our most festive clothes we had a glass of champagne together with my parents while we listened to Christmas music and unwrapped the gifts which lay under the tree. Then for years we had a Fondue Bourgignone.  I had always spent Christmas Eve with my parents alone, my grandma was never invited, I wanted to spent Christmas in our home as a freshly married couple. For my father it was a drama that we put up the tree a week or two before depending on our free time as we were both working, as he only did it on the 24th ! Apparently it was the use in his family.

Then came the time when we became parents. Each Christmas they came for at least a week, unfortunately it was no joy but fights, as they critisized everything. The way I kept my household, the way we raised our child, and they found a hundreds of reasons why Mr. G. was not the perfect man for me.

When my mother had passed away my father came here for the first and last time at Christmas, because I didn't exactly what his wife had to do. The years after we had to drive to Germany to spend Christmas with him, for me a torture. Fortunately at that time my son had a French girlfriend who came with us and  cheered me up and the next day the 25, we had to drive to France  to spend Christmas with her parents and 2 siblings. This was completely new to me and I loved it. Unfortunately the relationship broke and we were three again. Meanwhile my son had moved to London and I learned how to celebrate the English way ! The following years were the best Christmases I had, I think it was 2 or 3 times.

Then came the next change. He fell in love with a Dutch girl who didn't know a lot about celebrating Christmas, but did her best and we met her for the first time at Christmas Eve in Waterloo. When they had a little apartment we celebrated in Amsterdam. My son invited all his English friends who couldn't go home so that they were not alone on Christmas Eve, which I found really nice and it had been a very funny Christmas too.

When Toby was born it became again different. They were so busy with the baby that they forgot everything around them. On top we didn't open our gifts on Christmas Eve but on the 25th, which I found awful ! In pyjama and bathrobes half sleeping and not in the best mood so early mornings. I couldn't understand why my son who his whole life had celebrated the German way suddenly wanted to celebrate the English way. I love the English way, but not the fact to get up early morning and fight with gift paper !

I protested, I was ready to go on strike and not celebrate at all with them even Mr. G. agreed.

And this year it was a completely different Christmas from all the Christmases I had ever celebrated in my whole life.

I became philosophic, I asked myself why do I stick so much to traditions and principles  ? For what ? Why did I cry because Christmas was not like in my childhood and youth or later why did my son not teach his son our traditions ? And suddenly I thought I am silly or stupid or whatever. Why spoil the rest of my life with principles ??

So with joy I agreed to Christmas Eve on the 21st together with my son's best friend and family, and instead of having a traditional Christmas meal, dressed up sitting at the table, with the silver cutlery and the best dishes, we pushed the table to the window "threw" dishes and cutlery (the one from the kitchen) on the table my son picked up a delicious Libanese meal, which we didn't even put in bowls but left them as they were wrapped in plastic boxes ! Too much work they said and they took care of everything. I was sitting like a queen on our sofa, (Mr. G. was chased from the kitchen too) and when everything was ready we lined up and everybody took what he wanted. That was real fun ! After the meal we had Christmas Crackers also unknown, I had found them in my English shop, and then we chatted while in the background Christmas music played, cat Arthur meowed for  food and the two boys had a lot of fun with a game. I had bought a metal detector for Toby which he first had to assemble with mums help and then they were looking for metal (gold, money you can always dream) in the whole house.




The beginning .....



Family picture



Assembling of the metal detector with mum's help



Looking for metal, coins and gold ....



The table full of a variety of food, cold and hot



With full bellies a little rest




18 year old Arthur had also a full belly and earned a good rest !

What a nice Christmas !! No stress, no fights, only laughter and joy ! As it should be



I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy New year !!

10 comments:

  1. A great Christmas post and such a nice family gathering. It has never struck me before but Toby looks like a young version of Mr G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how we all have our different ways and traditions. But sometimes it's good to let go of them and do things differently. A takeaway buffet sounds a much easier way of entertaining lots of people.

    Hubby and I opted not to buy each other gifts this year (which has raised a few eyebrows) It becomes a stressful exercise. What should I buy? What does he want? Christmas should not be about stress so we discussed it and agreed.

    Of course the little ones need presents so that has kept me busy!

    I hope you enjoy your Christmas, however it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great Christmas after all with no fuss even if it was on the wrong day. Hope Toby finds buried treasure with his metal detector. I would love a metal detector but a waste of time here as there would be no roman coins, medieval treasure or buried church silver to find.
    Your past Christmas stories are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people are very attached to some traditions, some are not. Here in the US the tree and decorations always go up the end of November, her family had a big dinner and opened gifts on Christmas Eve. Living in Germany for 10 years people were irritated because Mom would decorate the end of November and open gifts on the 24th. She did it her way, but people were not happy about it. Glad you have found some resolution to your predicament.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww on the kitty. Love the fireplace shot.

    I think most of us go though this Christmas tradition thing. You have it right. Do whatever you want and just enjoy the celebration.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Awww Monday and week, Gattina. Merry Christmas. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post! Christmas should be full of love, joy and fun - we all forget that sometimes and get caught up in traditions. I love that you let that all go and enjoyed yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, my real name by baptism Maria Elena in Englis it's Marie Ellen, but my nickname is Dolly! Aughhhhhhhh I'm so confused. Hi, Happy Monday & Merry (almost) Christmas. It's funny I'm half German (my dad) & my mom is full-blooded Italian (Sicilian). You have a beautiful house & family & your kitties are adorable too! I want one of those metal finders so bad in fact I've been wanting one since I was little. ~hahaha~ Go figure. I love your table and your table cloth is superb! You have done a great job young lady! Merry Christmas to you and yours my new friend! My Gramma was from Dusseldorf German and Grandpa was from London & my mother's side was from Sicily, Palermo to be exact. MERRY CHRISTMAS have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping tradition is a wonderful thing but having fun is more important. Glad you enjoyed a great time filled with joy and laughter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you enjoyed the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done for throwing tradition to the wind and enjoying yourself. What a good idea of Dario. No fuss no stress. So glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !