13 Apr 2019

LIP READING

I don't take the bus very often from Waterloo to Brussels, because it is a little bit like Russian roulette : comes, comes not, comes etc. But this time I had to because around the South Station in Brussels it's almost impossible to find a parking space.

So I took the bus which was quite empty, a few elderly ladies with their shopping bags and a few men. Then the bus stopped in front of a school ! The bus door opened and at least 15 to 20 young students around 14/16 stepped in and fell on the empty seats ! I pushed a big sigh (inside) and thought now my peaceful trip will come to an end and they will shout and make a lot of noise. To my surprise I heard nothing ! Not a single  sound. I think I starred at them it was so unusual and then I saw what happened, they were talking with the hands, like Italians do and I thought the school from where they came must have been an Italian school ! They gesticulated in all direction and made big movements with their lips. Suddenly I understood this was a group of deaf teenagers who communicated with hand and lips. I became very curious because I had seen lip reading in movies, mostly when a murder was planned and recorded and the police had to hire a lip reader.



Finally I asked a young girl articulating with my lips and asked her if it would be difficult to learn lip reading. Stupid me, she couldn't speak and I couldn't read on her lips ! We both laughed. Then a young man came who could speak and translated. Apparently it is not so difficult. I wished I had learned it when I was younger, would be so nice to read on lips and know what people say even through a double glassed window. A part from that I am not curious at all !



Linking to SOCS-Lip

6 comments:

  1. I have a neighbor, a widower with two grown up sons, both deaf (parents were first cousins). The older has a wife and child but lives with his father and brother (maybe they're divorced, maybe not). The father is their mouth and ears; he speaks their lip language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked with a deaf person who couldn't lipread, and we all ended up having to learn sign language. Made life a little difficult...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister in law is mostly deaf and picked up lip reading as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my experience, while the school children might not be able to speak or hear, they can be just as boisterous children who can speak and hear, only they are a bit quieter. Some do make some sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took sign language course in college. Lip reading was not included but teacher taught us some slangs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little communication I've done with deaf was be written communication.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !