19 Dec 2011

OUR WORLD - Waterloo & Victor Hugo


Click on logo to join other participants

For the 150th birthday of Victor Hugo the famous French writer the city of Waterloo had organized a lot, as he had lived in Waterloo for a while to write Les Miserables.

There was a presentation of the Miserables at the feet of the Lion hill standing on the Waterloo battle field, expositions, visits and lectures of his works were made. Amongst other expositions, our painting class had been asked to paint a picture with the theme of the Miserables, which was not an easy task !




Victor Hugo 150 years





The cultural center of Waterloo, where the exposition took place




some of our works



the one in the middle is my painting. I painted hungry Cosette the little orphan who shares her food with a cat.








Clothes from the 18 hundreds





how children saw the Miserables and the Waterloo battle field



Portraits of Victor Hugo (I think he would have appreciated, he loved children)



I liked especially this one, would fit very nicely in the entrance of a home



to all of you !

13 comments:

  1. Terrific post for the day, Gattina! A great looking exhibit! And congratulations on having one of your own paintings displayed there! Fantastic! Have a wonderful week and a very Merry Christmas!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all Gattina, you are marvelously talented! Second, that's a wonderful thing Waterloo is doing ... a great community-wide event -- I'm very impressed with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gattina -- that anonymous above is me Sallie. I hit the send button too soon. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a really interesting post. I smiled when I saw you decided to paint a picture that included a cat.....I chuckled, of course! Love the kids pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great exhibit and congrats on having your artwork on display. interesting post and great photos. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great event and how wonderful that your work is displayed too. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that book by Victor Hugo
    This was indeed a nice exhibition looks like and your painting is very nice
    I also like the one with the boot stepping on peoples heads
    That's a powerful message.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been reading your blog for only a few months, but I knew there would be a cat in whatever you painted! How great to see the children's art included, too. Thanks for sharing the Exposition with us.

    Merry Christmas!
    Lea
    Mississippi, USA

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHat an interesting exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a fun exhibition. Your painting is very good. It sure does give the feel of Les Miserables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I wish I could have been there. I'd have loved to buy one of those bags!
    Your painting is wonderful. You portrayed the hungry child/hungry cat theme perfectly.
    Wish you and Mr. G. and the cats a wonderful holiday season.
    Luv, K

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that 3 D clothes on a frame.

    Were you always interested in art?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your painting a lot and all the art was a wonderful way to celebrate the author and his work.

    My daughter and I saw the musical that was based on the book many years ago. When my daughter had been studying French for quite a while she read Les Miserables in French. Not me, I read the English translation of the book a long time ago but unfortunately have never gotten advanced enough in languages I've studied to read large books in that language.

    It's a shame because I'm sure it's better to read books in the language of the author because no matter how good the translation, I know something is lost.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !