16 Apr 2009
THURSDAY THIRTEEN - Quotes about politeness
more participants here
In my painting group we had a discussion about good manners and politeness. Everybody was complaining about the kids or young people today. The reason was that one of my classmates got a visit from overseas, a friend of a friend whom she had never seen. This person enjoyed the day with her very much, but didn't even invite her for a coffee or sent a little "Thank you" after she was home and this wasn't a teenager ! Apparently some adult people don't know either what politeness is, so how could they give a good example ?
I found 13 quotes about politeness
1. It is a part of good breeding that a man should be polite even to himself.
2. Ceremonies are different in every country, but true politeness is everywhere the same.
3. There is a politeness of the heart; this is closely allied to love.
4. politeness is a sine qua non of civilization.
5. Politeness smooths wrinkles.
6. One of the greatest victories you can gain over someone is to beat him at politeness.
7. Politeness is as much concerned in answering letters within a reasonable time, as it is in returning a bow, immediately.
8. Politeness is the flower of humanity.
9. True politeness is perfect ease and freedom. It simply consists in treating others just as you love to be treated yourself
10. Politeness is an easy virtue, costs little, and has great purchasing power.
11. Fine manners are like personal beauty,--a letter of credit everywhere.
12. There is nothing costs less than civility.
13. Politeness costs little and yields much.