3 Jul 2008
I am actually at the Garda Lake in northern Italy. I haven't been there since 20 years. I came back for the first time last year.
13 things which have changed in 20 years
1. No new buildings had been built around the northern part of the lake due to lack of space. There is no room between the rocks and the lake. How fortunate for the beauty of the landscape
2. A lot of old farm houses in the mountains have been transformed into hotels, restaurants or just as bed and breakfast. Of course the farmers make more money with the tourists then with a farm on rocks.
3. Houses have been modernized and a lot of them have now air conditionning and double windows, but they have kept their original facade
4. Streets have been renewed and are very nice but still very narrow. Mountains do not move for humans.
5. The high season is July and August and it's full of tourists around the lake. In the northern part they are mostly Germans so if I close my eyes in a restaurant I could think I am in Germany with an Italian waiter !
6. The Dutchs who had invaded the lake in the 70/80 almost disappeared and are now replaced by Danishs. Probably due to the quite expensive area and Dutchs are reputated to be very economic and sometimes even stingy. The Italians used to call them "Niente Lire" which means "no money" because of their licence plate NL for Netherlands.
7. Parking spaces are very difficult to find and everywhere you have to pay now. Uniformed "parking police" checks all the time and if you haven't payed it can be very expensive.
8. Food hasn't changed it still is so good ! Yesterday I had Spaghettis with mussels, shrimps and other seafood in a wonderful tomato sauce
9. Thunderstorms are still very impressive because the thunder makes an echo in the mountains
10. Torbole, the place where we use to go became now an European center for windsurf. Surfers come here from all over the world even Australians and Canadians
11. When you walk along the beach you have to pay attention not to get a Segel in you face, surfers are not very careful with non surfers
12. The sun is very strong and you can easily get sunburnt
13. Wine is still cheaper then water !
when you arrive, the first view on the lake
my daily view out of the window
narrow streets around the lake