12 Nov 2007

MANIC MONDAY - GRAVY

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
MANIC MONDAY LINK


When I read the word "gravy" for Manic Monday I wasn't happy at all ! Lieing in the sunshine with 32 deg C (over 80) doesn't really inspire to eat gravy !!

The first time I ate meat in a gravy sauce I didn't even know what it was. I then saw a brown liquid which didn't look very appetizing and covered the meat. I didn't like it at all. Fortunately I only had to eat it in the UK the States and in Germany. I never saw it in another country. Anyway for me it always has the taste of "United Chemicals" and when it is thick it's even worse.

Fortunately it doesn't exist in the Egyptian kitchen which is very healthy. A lot of vegetables, very fresh fish, lam or veal. The chicken really has the taste of a happy chicken pecking around in a little village and not at all the taste of our inside breed chicken which have no taste and are mostly dry. All meals are spiced with nice herbs but not spicy at all. The meat is mostly grilled or roasted and really delicious.

Only the desserts are a little too sweet for me and are sometimes swimming in oil and very greasy. But cakes and yogurt desserts are delicious.

Last time when I was in England in a restaurant and was asked " with gravy ?" I always answered with horror " Oh no !!!" And if there was some on my plate I always scratched it off.

We eat a lot of very fresh fish just caught in the morning in the red sea qnd it always has a wonderful taste and they are fishes which are mostly unknown in other countries.

If every you wish to read a hilarious adventure we had yesterday here in Egypt come here tomorrow.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usbig

No gravy on the table !!!

12 comments:

  1. The Mediterreanean, Arabic, and N. African diets are wonderful with their emphasis on fresh foods particularly vegetables and fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be studying for my French class but you know how addictive blogging can be, lol
    Moi? no gravy either, I don't like the extra calories, give me a light meal and I am happy! I am sure the food you are having is not only healthy but delicious!
    You all look fabulous! is it because of tomorrow's promising post??
    ich bin mal gespannt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please float mine in the gravy. It often is the best part of a meal. Have a great MM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of gravy either. A great MM post, Gattina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could go for that very fresh fish daily, I love all kinds of fish. Gravy is a very special element and has to be prepared right. It sounds like you may have run into some that wasn't. Have a happy and blessed MM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the visit, Gattina. The reason my Manic Monday is very different to yours, is that there are two different memes, each called Manic Monday. I do the other one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miam! Tu nous mets l'eau à la bouche! Plage, super bouffe, interessant shopping! C'est le paradis sur terre! Ici pendant ce temps il y a une question que commencent à se poser pas mal de français: "Sarkokenstein est il fou?" Sérieux j'ai vu ça dans une émission politique très sérieuse hier en présence de députés et de deux ministres!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Gattine. Glad you're enjoying Egypt!

    Come visit me at Answers to the Questions

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, it's a holiday Monday and now that you mention it I think I will make dinner with Gravy. Articles

    ReplyDelete
  10. NOW the truth comes out! THIS would be why you are so skinny! And why I am NOT! I loooooooove gravy! More gravy? YES, PLEASE! On your potatoes? YES! PLEASE! With bread and butter? YES! PLEASE! Oh how I WISH I could not like gravy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got me very, very hungry by this post. for me, it's very important how the food is where I go....

    I must fix dinner now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tiens, tiens mesdames, quelle bon temps.
    Lucky you to have fresh fish. On Sunday I had Yellow Snapper. In Miami Beach. I'll post that later this week

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !