19 Jun 2007

AN UNPAYABLE BILL

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Pookie had to laugh too !

A few weeks ago I found an invoice in my mailbox from the hospital where I had had a check up. That's nothing special because invoices are usually the only mail most of people get. The invoice showed an amount to pay : 0,00 €. I started to doubt about the mental health of this hospital, this was ridiculous, even the paper was worth more plus the stamps ! That's more than one € isn't it ? I am not a genious in math have never been, but that I could figure out. I dropped it in the wastepaper basket, told it to my friends as it was quite funny and then forgot about it.


One week later or so, I got a reminder to please pay the outstaning invoice of € 0,00. Again by mail and with stamps. I shaked my head thought they are crazy and threw it away.


After a while I got another reminder telling me that I had already had one reminder but still not payed the invoice and I should do this right away. Now I had a real problem how can I pay 0,00 € ? The bank will take me for mad and I didn't intend to spend the rest of my life in a mad house. Sighing I threw it away.


Then I got another letter, this time encircled with red and a menacing text, all in red, that I still had not payed and that this was the last payment invitation. I got scared and threw it away.


Another week went by and another letter arrived. This time with registred mail ! The postman looked suspiciously at me ... did I commit a crime ?


The letter was quite rude informing me that this would be the last (underlined, red, exclamation mark) reminder before taking juridical steps ! My Godness I thought, should I take a lawyer ? I saw myself already sitting in a nicely decorated cell with computer and flowers around me (but sadly without cats) and my husband bringing me oranges.


Now, I thought, I should call them and ask for an explanation because very honestly I did not have a 0 € coin or bill. That really was a big problem. Otherwise I would have driven over there and paid it.


I called the accounting department and wanted to explain my problem. From service to service to service who all were not responsible finally I ended up with a person who seemed to at least know something. I explained for the X time my problem. The female voice on the phone declared me that this is the fault of the computer, he was the culprit ! And the best thing I could do was to send 0,00 € per bank transfer.


On my timid statement that this would be absurd, she told me, no not at all, as the computer only understands when he gets a transfer. Then I could live in peace again. But, I dared to oppose, the computer does only things which people had told it to do, she looked at me with a pityful glance, not saying loud but what she thought deep inside, that I was again one of these stupid people who really don't understand anything about computers ! To assure this oh so clever woman I promised her to make a transfer of 0,00 € right away. I hang up the phone and .... did it.

Since today I haven't got any mail anymore except other invoices of course. That the hospital spend at least 10 € for stamps and registred mail was apparently normal. And they always complain about lack of money.




10 comments:

  1. OMG, that is just so bizarre, and such a major waste of money.
    Hope it is all sorted now.
    Take care, Meow

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I have heard verrrrrrry similar stories here in the U.S. too! And even my mother-in-law got a bill (over and over and over again) for $0.25 -- In America you're not supposed to pay bill's under $1.00... but they would NOT leave her alone about the quarter -- so finally she taped one to the bill and sent it in! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my.....the stupidity of time's electronic generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievable... so stupid... I know the same happens over here though~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gattina ~~ Good story, but how ridiculous for them to keep sending you bills. Finally sorted out I hope.
    Thanks for your comment about my Father's Day post. Ours is in Sept.
    I thought the one about going through fire to get pure was strange. We just have to do the best we can, and fires are to keep us warm !! Take care,
    Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gattina, that was so funny.Thanks for the good laugh. It is nice to know that those kind of stupid things happen where you live also. Such a waste of good money. The computer gets blamed for a lot of human mistakes, I am afraid. connie from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  7. L'administration bête et méchante à la base plus l'ordi c'est la totale! Si on compte les frais de téléphone, de timbres ... c'est une histoire de fou!!! Je suis toujours dans le paté! Ce sont mes élèves qui ont dû me refiler ce virus! Ou l'angoisse des élections dimanche! Heureusement il y a maintenant une opposition et Sarkokenstein n'aura pas les pleins pouvoirs même s'il a la majorité à l'assemblée!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! Meine Eltern hatten den selben Spass mit der Deutschen Telekom. Eine Rechnung über 0,00€, eine Mahnung über 0,00€, eine zweite Mahnung... ein paar Anrufe... das Versprechen der Erledigung des Sachverhaltes... hat natürlich nicht funktioniert. 2 Wochen später stand der Gerichtsvollzieher vor der Tür (!!!), welcher sich den Vorgang vorher nicht angesehen hat. Meine Mama war eben so erstaunt und entsetzt wie der Gerichtsvollzieher. Sie hat sich dann aber gefangen und gefragt, ob er die Summe in bar kassieren möchte, oder ob sie einen Scheck ausstellen solle. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's Truly amazing to me that being the computer wasn't a person's brain and it takes a person's brain to make that thing work. Why couldn't one of the human brains in the office put it in correctly. I just have a feeling that the computer doesn't get up from the desk and go get the mail for the day and open it up and then it's tells itself you sent it nothing.

    People are totally stupid. Lazy money wasting fools, all around us on every land that humans put their foot on. How stupid. I am sorry for you that you even had to deal with it. You should send them a bill for postage and filling your trash can with their stupid invoices. Oh Gattina this was too funny a story. The things we deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a bunch of robots at the wheel.

    You should have sent that one to the local newspaper.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !