19 Apr 2023

WORDLESS WEDNESDAY





What today is called scrapbooking apparently existed already in 1940 ! This are little drawings my mother had put besides the photos. I think she was quite talented and I wonder why I never saw her drawing. When I found the old albums she had made before I was born, I regretted that I can't read what she wrote besides or under her drawings as it is the German Gothic writing   called "Sütterlin"which was used before and during Hitlers time in Germany. It changed after Germany lost the war and the population was forced to write as everybody, the Latin way because the occupants couldn't read the writing ! 

I have never learned this writing because it was not allowed anymore in the schools. My grandma wrote in a mixture of both and sometimes I had to guess what she meant.

From 1924 to 1941, this "Sütterlin" was the standard German script that first graders learned in German schools. It was developed by the Berlin lettering artist Ludwig Sütterli.


more participants here, and Image-in-ing

7 comments:

  1. Those are amazing little drawings! How precious to have them still. Maybe you can find someone who can translate those for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet. There must be some easy way to translate what was written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious find. Lovely drawings, but I'm sorry you can't read them.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday, Gattina. Scritches to Rosie. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. These drawings are too precious not to uncover their significance. Hope someone can translate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/04/continued-from-last-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting about the language. Your mother was creative and you are too!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !