13 Aug 2021

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

Weeks are flying by and mostly the same way. Monday I did a little shopping  and then withdrew into my cave. I am still withouth any energy and just did what I absolutely had to do. I think I still recuperate from the last month or maybe even the year. The lockdown hasn't helped me neither !

Luckily we went on another organized excursion the next day and this time to Dinant ! Dinant is a charming little town  where the inventor of the saxophone Adolphe Sax was born. We were lucky, each time when it rained we were somewhere inside !

None of us 4 girls felt like walking around in this cloudy weather and decided to take a cruise on the river "la Meuse". From the boat you can see the pretty old houses, the Citadel and the high cliffs. We sat in the restaurant with a cup of coffee and looked to the right and left at the landscape and houses.

 

We had a lot of fun and also saw a lot. When we came back we found a nice restaurant where we had a pita and excellent French fries. We could sit outside, the terraces were all covered. After lunch as there was nothing to see what we hadn't seen already when we were in Dinant a couple of years ago, we decided to take the cruise another time, you saw so much and the second time you always something else. When we had finished our second cruise, we made a little tour in the city center, but there was nothing interesting and we sat down in a Brasserie just below the Citadel and watched the different boats and ships which went by and a lot of people too, the weather had cleared up. Then it was time to return to our bus and return home. We were really tired, after 2 years of lockdown we are all a little stiff and quickly tired ! But we had spent a nice day. 

The next day I rested my legs and sorted out my pictures. I lay a bit on the balcony and besides that I only chatted on the phone. Mr. G. also had a nice day and talked well.

Now it is one month that Mr. G is in the retirement home and I wanted to try to take him home for the first time after nearly half a year. Isabel who has helped me so much in the past and is used to these diseases, proposed to pick him up and bring him home where I should wait with coffee and cake. I should call him before. Which I did. To my surprise he asked me what I wanted and when I told him that after lunch he can come to see Rosie (can't say home, had to mention our cat) he told me that he is not feeling well and he prefers to stay home and in his room. I proposed to come over and say a little hello, but even that was too much and he told me not to come. Was I happy, that means that now he is really feeling home there and doesn't want to come back. I was always feeling so bad when I had to tell him that I can't take him home. Another worry gone !

The week ended with frozen food shopping in a specialized shop together with my neighbor who has no car and had never learned to drive ! When we came back and had filled our freezers with what we had bought, we sat together on the balcony had a beer and chatted. 

I think this year I won't take any holidays if I can't go to Egypt. There is no organized tour yet for the Eastern countries which I hadn't seen yet. And in nearly all other European countries I have already been. I will see !

 

 

 

more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

12 comments:

  1. Your outing sounds good. It is a pity Mr G did not have much time to enjoy living in your apartment but he is in a good place and mostly happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look very nice in the picture with your two friends!
    On the one hand,it sounds Mr.G has found stability in the new place, and that's good. On the other hand, it's rather sad, as you were both at the beginning of a new beginning -the move to a new apartment - and now, things take a different turn. You're lucky to have good friends around you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That outing sounded like fun but I get that being out and about after being cooped up for so long can be tiring. I'm glad Mr G has settled in his new home but it must be hard on you on your own in your new home. It's good that you have a good network of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to feeling without energy, but in my case it's the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is surprising how quickly Mr G has settled into the home and good that he is referring to it as his home. You also seem to have adjusted to life without him although it must be lonely at times. Good to see you are getting out and about on your organised excursions again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your husband is adapting well to his retirement home.
    How fun to go to the Sax museum and to have a cruise with friends.
    Enjoy the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was good for you to be able to get out and have fun with that bus tour and boat cruise.
    Sorry the little outing for your husband did not work out so well, maybe another day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The excursion to Dinant "Sax-town" sounds like a great outing. You live in a beautiful place. All the cafes and the cruises are appealing.
    Good to hear that Mr. G is adapting to his new place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounded like a lovely outing with your friends. Sort of sad that Mr G didn't want to come to your place but its good that he is happy where he is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cruise sounds like such fun. It's good Mr. G. has adjusted so well to his new place and it feels like home. It's a little sad he didn't want to come to the apartment, but maybe another time he will. Rest up--you've had a lot going on recently.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !