1. This week's Hodgepodge lands on Ash Wednesday which signals the beginning of Lent. Do you mark this season in some way? If so tell us more. Did you grow up 'celebrating' Lent? Is attending church part of your weekly routine? Are churches open for in-person worship where you live?
We always celebrated Carnival in Germany where I came from it is a very important event in Cologne, like in Venice or Rio. Ash Wednesday people recovered from all the festivities and were sad that the 4 days of celebration were over.The church is only important to believers. Belgium is a catholic country and religion has no influence whatsoever on either politics or the municipality of the city. When lent begins we see in the calendars, maybe in some regions they celebrate it, but I really don't know.
2. When is the last time you sat beside a 'real' fire? Do you have a fireplace in your home? Wood or gas logs? Favorite thing cooked over a fire?
We had an open fire in our living room, which worked with logs. It was not so for heating but rather for decoration and it was so romantic to look in the open fire. In Belgium all houses had this kind of open fire even in apartments. Ours has none because since a few years it's only built on request and not automatically.
3. Something that's currently got you fired up?
In these times nothing got me fired up ! What should it be ? Day in day out it's the same for going somewhere remain parks and woods, but with this cold weather I prefer to stay inside. The day restaurants, bars and cafes will finally open then that will fire me up and go out with my friends having a meal or only a drink !
4. February also happens to be National Cabbage Day. Who knew? Do you like cabbage? Is cabbage on your menu Wednesday? Of the following cabbage dishes which is your favorite-coleslaw (mayo or vinegar?), sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, kielbasa and cabbage, grilled cabbage, bubble and squeak, kimchi, or haluski?
Mr. G. being Italian he seldom eats cabbage and I am not a cabbage fan neither ! We don't have a National Cabbage Day, here it would be the Belgian fries which are wrongly called French fries. That makes the Belgians angry because they were invented in Belgium and have nothing to do with France. From time to time we like sauerkraut in the winter, but that's it.
5. Do you hang on to pennies? What do you do with them? Last thing you purchased for $1.00? Last thing you purchased for $5.00?
Last time I purchased with a Dollar must have been in 1997, when we visited my aunt in Madison/Wisc. Now I spend Euros !.. In general I don't like coins, I prefer to pay by card and not carry cash around with me.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
That's not the day to ask me my thoughts ! There are days you better stay in bed ! First Mr. G felt sick and the doctor came, she has her cabinet just in the next house. This settled, I had to go shopping, which I did and lost the case with all my bank cards. While I was looking for the telephone nr of the shop the phone rang and a friendly lady told me they had found it and I could pick it up whenever I want ! That at least was a nice thought because apparently there are still honnest people around.