3 Dec 2020

HODGEPODGE

While two of the other major dictionaries selected pandemic as their word of the year, Oxford came up with a long list including-bushfire, impeachment, acquittal, coronavirus, COVID-19, lockdown, social distancing, reopening, Black Lives Matter, Cancel Culture, BIPOC, mail-in, belarusian, moonshot, net zero (read more about each word here) 

Of the words listed which ONE would you say should be in the number 1 spot? Which word/phrase on this list would you be happy to never hear again?

1. I choose the word "lockdown" ! It's now the second time that we are prisoners here in Belgium, with absurd rules, for example car wash open, but hairdressers closed and one person to invite for Christmas ! I blame not only our gouvernment but also the once of all the other countries and above all the EU who doesn't manage that all European countries have the same rule ! Belgium is such a small country that if you drive 200 km from Brussels, you arrive in France, Germany, the Netherlands and Luxemburg. What happenes if the rules in another country are better, you take your car and go there ! Especially those who live close to the border !

2. What one word from your own list of words describing this year sums up/best reflects your 2020? Tell us why. 

A part from the fact that we moved from our house into an apartment, which made a change in our lives of course, the whole year was rotten and I wished I could erase it !

 I couldn't travel at all, my Egypt holidays, and another, it was all impossible ! If the country and hotels were not a problem then there were no flights ! I am not getting younger and I don't know if I am still able next year ! 

3. Do you like peppermint? Peppermint mocha, a candy cane, peppermint bark, peppermint tea, York Peppermint Pattie, peppermint ice cream...of the peppermint treats listed, which one is your favorite? Will you bake anything featuring peppermint this holiday season? 

I hate peppermint ! even in toothpaste ! The only peppermint taste I like is in Moroccan tea, but they add other spices to it and it is made with fresh peppermint so that's OK.. 

4. Besides Christmas, what do you associate the color red with? How about the color green? 

I love red, I have many clothes where red dominates and in our home too. Red is a cheerful and warm color and often associated with love. Green, however, I hate it's a cold color in painting and a green painted wall makes the room cold. !  I only love green in nature, the woods, tree, grass, plants etc.

5. Is your tree up? Real or artificial? Is your house decorated? Is your shopping done? Started? Wrapped? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being Scrooge-like and 10 being Buddy the Elf, how's your Christmas spirit? 

No the tree is not up ! In fact I didn't want to decorate our home this year which I decided on a bad mood and  because I was angry and had sworn to never celebrate Christmas again. Mr. G doesn't care anyway! And when we moved I had given everything away ! Now when I see Christmas trees everywhere I suddenly wanted to decorate our new home. So I had to buy new decoration ! 

I went into the second hand shop in favor of battered women and bought what I needed ! I thought it would be funny if I buy back the things I had given them in June !! I was very happy with what I had found for very little money only 20 € and have started to decorate our living room. 

Now I heard that we will be alone on Christmas eve, because our son had decided that it would be more careful not to come, and finally I don't care anymore ! I arrived at a point where all these things don't matter to me anymore and I will be happy to celebrate my first Christmas on a computer screen, in Christmas video conference ! At least it will be the first time in my life !

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I think that all these year end festivities will be rather sad for many of us. I can understand the people who would celebrate as they used to do in the past  dispite the rules, maybe reduce a little bit the number. Even in my case where we would only be four adults and one child I would break the rule ! Because we are only allowed to invite one person ! Which is completely absurd, because usually your children are married or your parents, and what to do then, let one outside on a chair ?? I think our politicians are all out of their mind !  I am sure that they will  break their own rules !! 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. 6. Toby can come inside for Christmas. Son and DiL can sit out in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One person is pretty silly! Everything in this country is just a suggestion... nobody *has* to do anything and that is why our case count is so high, too many people just don’t take any precautions at all. There must be some way to compromise between too strict like yours and not strict enough like ours. Either way, I hope this is all over soon, because like you say, we’re not getting any younger either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many politicians in US are breaking their own rules and traveling even though they told us not to.
    You can send me all the peppermint because I love it ;)
    I giggled when I read that you had to go out and buy all the new decorations. At least you could get them in the second hand shop.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are about to enter the third!! lockdown, so we're promised.
    Well, I don't like it at all, but since I've neglected a lot of things in my home, I'll not see it as a tragedy. Time to sort out things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually don't like peppermint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I didn't add year to my age, I would have work and extra year before retire. I like peppermint in hot chocolate.
    Stay Safe and Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !