19 Sept 2018

WORDLESS WEDNESDAY - WHY DO I WRITE ?





Seen in Riga (Latvia)



more participants here
and Image-in-ing


********


I have got an email from Kate at Five Minute Friday, asking me why I write or want to write.

The reason is simple, since I learned to read and write, I have always loved writing and honestly the best notes at school was for my writings. My friends too enjoyed my letters, at that time there was no internet of course but  I wrote in my diary. I also invented little stories, which nobody read besides me.

When I discovered Blogs in 2006, I thought that's it ! Now I can write to my hearts content. But the big question was, in what language should I write ? My mothertongue being German I thought then I will only have German bloggers and in 2006 there were almost none. It was not very well known. The same was for French, I could have written in French too, but France was even more behind, there were only a few Canadians who had a blog in French. There were no translation facilities on the blogs neither, they were very simple.

I decided to try in English, and to my big surprise it worked, not so in the beginning because I had a big lack of vocabulary and when I read the posts today I have to laugh sometimes ! But I started 
a blog ! I wrote and was surprised that I didn't get comments. I don't even remember where it was, but then I discovered Blogger and it started !  First it was one blog, where I mostly told stories about my cats. But soon it became too small for all memes and I split it into two, this one and  My Cats and funny stories there are so many cat lovers around I had to make a blog apart.

Now I couldn't imagine my life without blogging. It has become my hobby ! Over the years I have learned so much and been in contact with people from all over the world.

I write stories about my childhood, my life, my adventures, my travels .... Writing lets me forget all worries, I am in another world. I only regret one thing, that Websides, Blogs and Internet in general didn't exist when I was young. I was already 63 when I started but I also learned that it is never too late to learn new things and go with the future !



2006, even on holidays !


12 comments:

  1. Lovely . Keep commenting on my blog because I love your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I don't always comment but I love reading everything you write about. I think we live such different lives and blogs allow me into other lives and even to meet up with other bloggers. I would never have visited and had a very quick tour of Brussels with you if it hadn't been for blogs. From the time I learned to read at school I haven't stopped reading, so you must keep writing and I will keep reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a big step, to blog in a language that was not your first! What a good job you have done here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you speak so many languages. Our kids speak German as a second language as my husband is German. My oldest is now working on language number -Japanese! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in awe of your skills with language.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really admire your ability to write so fluently and with such humour in English. I'm glad you do, as I couldn't read it in French or German! And yes, blogging is such a wonderful hobby. I had no idea until I started but now I am addicted too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly have been at it for quite awhile! I started with my writing blog, but that's at most three days a week, so my photoblog overtook it in numbers a year or two back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading this my friend. You expressed so well why I enjoy this blogging hobby, which obviously I also started at a ‘vintage’ age ...in 2007, when I was 67 (doesn’t seem so old to me any more). My blog is more a photo blog with my writing being mostly just explaining the photos, but I’ve gotten better at it over the years. But nothing like the great stories you write! You really are talented .... And I’m in awe whenever I’m reminded that you are writing in your third language. Thanks for all your stories. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much the same for me and I never thought that I would actually meet people because of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you blog in English as I enjoy your posts very much.
    I can only say a couple of things in German...
    Ein bier bitte!! und
    Wo ist die toilette??

    In that order ;)

    Thanks for sharing!

    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I started blogging, what language should I write...was a question for me, too. My mother language is Japanese but I live in the U.S., so I decided to blog in English. I don't think I was aware of your kitty blog! Gotta check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Writing is fun but I find I have less time now that I'm into photography. I love your writing because you always include humour. You are so clever to be able to write in many languages.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !