18 Jun 2015

A BIG EVENT

Waterloo celebrates the bicentenary of the Waterloo battle. And that is a big event ! For those who are not so good in history here is a very short lesson !

Napoleon was Emperor of the French. With his battles, he rapidly conquered most of continental Europe. His ambition was to become a second Ceasar the Roman, who had been a little everywhere. 

Napoleon's first defeat was when  he had the good idea to conquer also Russia which ended in catastrophic failure for the French.

After another battle he was sent to the isle of Elba, from where he escaped and tried to get back his former power.

He never succeeded because meanwhile the Brits, Dutch and Germans had united their forces and he lost the battle in Waterloo on the 18 June 1815 at the Hougoumont farm.

This fortified farm saw a very bloody fighting. It was an advanced position which protected the allies' right flank. Napoleon attacked it on 18 June towards 11:30 am and lost.

If Napoleon would have won, Europe would have a completely different face today and we probably would all speak French in Europe.

So when today somebody says : that was your Waterloo, it means that it was the end.

The Abba group made Waterloo famous for everybody in the whole world with their song "Waterloo" ! Many people still believe that Waterloo is in France, but that is wrong it is in Belgium, the town where I live.

My, my, at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more
Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my Waterloo

My, my, I tried to hold you back but you were stronger
Oh yeah, and now it seems my only chance is giving up the fight
And how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more
Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my Waterloo

So how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose -

Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my Waterloo


You can see pictures of the Hougoumont farm and the British bivouacs, I was there yesterday. There will be around 6000 soldiers for the re-enactment of the battle ! Continue here .....



Jenny Matlock
more participants at Jenny Matlock's Alphabet Thursday




7 comments:

  1. Excellent history lesson and I love Abba!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very interesting to learn about your town and the fun events that are held there. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Jenny Matlock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad they decided to clean up that piece of history. It's time for the French President to let it go. :) I couldn't help but think of the contrast between the people dressed up as soldiers and the modern day cars. Now I know where the expression "meeting your Waterloo" comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful history lesson...thanks for sharing♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/el-paso/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful history lesson. It amazes me that some towns have been around for so many years and are filled with all that history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating and excellent history lesson!

    I'm sending this along to my husband. I think he would enjoy reading this as well.

    Thank you for linking to the letter E.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !