24 Jun 2024

AWWW MONDAY - WEEKEND JUNE 22

 

 



 

Arthur was the most intelligent and funny cat who owned us for 19 years. Then he fell asleep on a kitchen chair and never woke up again.

 



Linking to AWWW MONDAYS 

 

 ******* 

Saturday there should be the reconstitution of the Waterloo Battle, difficult to do because it was raining cats and dogs ! Poor soldiers ! I had thought about going there, but I have seen it so many times, that I didn't want to risk a cold. The air was not good for my lungs and finally I stayed home. 

In the afternoon I went to Jeanine who lives on the other side of the castle which makes me walk almost as long as I should. We chatted a bit and then we went to the restaurant and met the others for coffee, cookies and fruits.

This time there were a few residents who were a bit brain-damaged, who normally are not there. A very tall man who never says a word always sneaks around the fruit basket and takes a banana, then he goes out on the terrace, eats it and comes back and takes another one. He usually does this 5 times and we call him the banana eater. He is harmless so he can eat in the restaurant. I was told all sorts of stories that happen in the restaurant during the meals, I think I have to eat with the others again to "experience" something. 

A really small man with incredible strength picked up his table in a fit of anger and threw it over. After that he was missing for a week, probably he was in hospital and now he is peaceful, they probably changed his medication. At the beginning he also kicked me and I pushed him away, I didn't know he could be so dangerous, fortunately he was so surprised that he didn't move. The war for chairs at the same table,  starts at 4 pm for some people, even though the meal isn't until 6. On the one hand, I feel sorry for the old ones, but if I'm really honest, I have to laugh, some situations are so funny that you just have to.

This is the restaurant, so there is really space and chairs for everybody ! After one woman sitting at our table kept complaining that "her" seat was occupied by a nasty woman and we tried to explain to her that she still had 2 hours left to get to her place, we went to our rooms. 

I now always get a nice cheese plate in the evening after I had told the chef that I don't eat a warm meal twice. It took a week for everyone to understand this, but after I always sent the warm food  back to the kitchen, I now get my cheese. 

Finally Saturday wasn't boring after all, on the contrary, at least we laughed a lot. The oldest residents talked about how it used to be when they lived on a farm, the toilet was outside and it was quite cold to go there in the winter. 

We had full moon and laying in my bed I saw it, because I couldn't fall asleep, so I made this picture. It's not professional but I like it.

Sunday a miracle has happened ! The sun was out ! not only the nose but the whole ball ! I don't remember when I woke up with sunshine in my room !

After a telephone conversation with son and grandson, I went for a walk in the park. It was nice and warm 23° which had never happened this year. Solange who is here with her husband, came with me. She is still very nice although 90 but her husband is not able anymore to leave his bed and always stays in their room. I have never seen him. We walked for a while but then it became too warm and we went back and sat on the terrace together with other residents from our little group. It was like on holidays, the only thing I missed was a swimming pool. I think I was the only one, a lot of the others had never learned to swim !

Then it was already time for supper and I returned to my room. What a nice afternoon. 

 

Rosie still sleeps the whole day and plays around during night. She also doesn't eat anything during the day, but has a very good appetite during night. 


I think she had been a night owl in her former life ! The similarity exists after all



4 comments:

  1. I am so glad the sun came out on SUNDAY! But of course!! Hope you get to see more of Mr Sun!

    Adventures with the peeps I work with at our nursing home, often are just as you described...we once had an angry man who tried to break down the doors with a chair! And if I bring someone to our dining room to the 'wrong' table I am sure to hear about it right away, by the others LOL!

    I hope you have a nice week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur had a lovely passing - it doesn't often happen like that.
    Your fellow residents sound most entertaining, though I don't think the furniture mover would be good to be close to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice read. I liked the comparison between Rosie and the owl. I don't remember you writing about Arthur dying on a chair. Normally cats hide away to die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arthur was a handsome mancat. He was big too.

    I've noticed many old people that have their own chair and have a meltdown if someone else is in that chair. I don't want to be that old person. At 72 I don't care what chair I'm in as long as I have one.

    Rosie is doing what is natural for her. Our kitties sleep at night and during the day and they also eat and play during the day and night.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Awww Monday and week, Gattina. Scritches to Rosie. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !