11 Apr 2024

HODGEPODGE APRIL 11

1. Do you complete your own tax returns or hire out? Something you've found taxing lately? 

As I have nothing to declare except Rosie, I can fill in the formula online. It's very easy, now that I am in a retirement home. 

Am I deductible ?

2. It's spring (in the northern hemisphere anyway)...would you rather spend the day hiking in the great outdoors or planting a garden? Do you/will you have a garden this year? Flowers, vegetables, or a bit of both?

Nothing from the above mentioned activities ! I have a wonderful park at my disposable belonging to the castle. The park is taken care of an army of gardeners and as I never liked gardening I am happy to be able to sit or walk in this beautiful park. Even when we lived in our house I didn't like to work in our garden and Rick did it very reluctantly, he didn't like it either ! But we both loved to sit in a nice park or garden. 

3. Do you consider yourself a patient person? In what sort of situation is patience not desirable? Are you happy with the degree of patience you have in your daily life? If not, what can you do to cultivate more of this quality in your life? 

I am not a patient person ! Not at all, everything has to go quick and I can't do anything about it, that's just me. But I am very patient with brain damaged people, I didn't even know that, but I have been told so by the nurses here. There is one resident with us who is completely normal until 4 pm and then she starts to ask where she lives, if her room is payed, if she has to stay here, where is her mum and that she has 5 children, but nobody visits her. And this she does every day. She interrupts conversations and starts always the same text. Apparently I am the only resident who is able to answer her and direct her attention to other things than the past, and it is not always the same story if have to invent. She is 92, I always think maybe with 92 I am like her and would be happy that a friendly person answers my questions. I have learned a lot with Rick, who behaved like that too, but always with other subjects.

4. Do you like the flavor cinnamon? If so what's your favorite something made with cinnamon? 

Not really, it doesn't bother me, but I don't particularly like it either. I can't think of anything that's made with cinnamon ! There are so many recipes with cinnamon, but I never used one.

5. Learn by watching or learn by doing? Elaborate. 

I can't put together something with the help of a notice. I read the notice, think that I have understood, but when I try to put the thing together it doesn't work, there is a gap between visual and practical in my brain.

The best is I see it how it's done and then I try to do the same without reading the notice. Usually that works ! YouTube is my little helper ! In the past it was Rick who explained or did it for me ! Now I have to do everything myself or ask for help.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Looking out of my window when I got up, I thought, maybe now the winter is over ! In the last three days it was a bit sunny and I could do my half an hour walk, which I have the intention to do every day if possible ! 


 I want to be able to travel again or at least see exhibitions or do something interesting. 

That's now since  23 September 2023 that the ABBA exhibition is here in Waterloo and fortunately for me lasts til the 18 May. I absolutely have to find a day to go there, because it's a special event. If only I would have a bit more energy, sometimes I think I act like a somnambulist.





From this Side of the Pond

7 comments:

  1. Lovely photographs of sweet Rosie and the view from your window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you consider yourself a patient person? I was never patient when I was young. I was never rude, but if silly comments weren't even worth answering, I simply left the conversation.
    In older age, I am finding that we all forget vital facts or our sentences are not as fluent as in the earlier decades. While this humiliates me often, at least the impatience has disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are fortunate to have found your castle. Like a princess, there is something quite magical about your window and the view of the pathway and park. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful view out your window! I love how it's already so green. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !